Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

12s possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:04 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default 12s possible?

with these mods?

shorty headers
h pipe w/high flow cats
dual cut outs
'spydershaft' lightweight aluminum drive shaft
full race delete plates
3k stall converter

at first I was just gonna do 4.10s,3k TC and cut outs.

my goal was to try to get into the 12s with the least amount of mods possible, now it's to get into those times WITHOUT gears or slicks. No reason other then just to do it, be it bragging rights or just to say that I did it.

(-:
Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Possible, all depends on the driver. Tires?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would not get the shorties, cut outs or hi-flow cats.

Take the money and put it towards a CAI and tune with some DR's.

If you can get into the 12's with that set up you sell your car.

If you already a CAI and tune then get the gears.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:20 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Someone on these forums ran a 12.98 with just an intake and tune and stock pirelli tires. Like the above poster said, get gears after the intake and tune if you need more help. Shorty headers will help some, but its not the cheapest power adder. I guess aluminum driveshaft and UDPs might give you close to the same gains as gears, but will cost about twice as much.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Brenspeed used to have on their site that with C&L w/tune they ran a 12.8@108 i think on street tires
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I already have a C & L racer intake and brenspeed tune. Ran a best of 13.4@102.

(-:

The local track has an excellent set up and the car really hooks up real well despite stock tires and converter. I am pretty positive that I will be able to hit at least a 12.9 with possibly a best of 12.8s depending on launch and stroke of luck. I remember a few years back witnessing this old timer in a brand new GT running 12.8s all day long..temp tag on the rear window and everything lol. Gears I know would be the best bet especially with the TC and race tune, but still seems like too dramatic of a change for daily driving on the highway...
Old 12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Gears would def seal the deal. I was hesitant at first to get them too, but after finally pulling the trigger on them 10 days ago, I coudnt be happier. Its like a whole new car and as far as freeway....I am running 2600RPMs at 75MPH so I didnt realy see much difference. I even picked up better mileage around town (about 3-4 MPG) and I dont drive nice, so more could be gained. You can see the adds that I have done and I plan on going to the track again soon. Our track sucks unfortunately and my times have not been too great thusfar although I have not run it since I first bought it. With our temps and elevation and a crappy track, best she would pull stock was 14.0 at 101. With the add ons I have done since, I hope to be at least in the low 13s. Again the elevation,temp, and track conditions limit me. I may have to make a trip to Pamona soon to best evaluate.
ANyway, Dont Fear the Gear! It is the best mod I have done thusfar and you will feel a tremendous difference without suffering from what you are thinking it would be like. ITs not bad at all and the gains are worth the extra 3-500 RPM increase on the freeway.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

that's great to hear!^^

I think I might just go with the original plan of doing 4.10s, 3k stall TC, cut outs and race tune being that those mods will bring the most bang for the buck mods, especially on the butt dyno lol.

Pretty confident I could be running at least a 13 flat if not 12.9 with the mods just listed...
Old 12-01-2008, 02:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ps

... if anyone asks, I won't even mention 4.10s or a race tune lol. It's merely intake and cut outs.

(-:
Old 12-01-2008, 02:20 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Default or

If you have AT I heard that 3.73s run just like 4.10s do in Manual cars. I dunno if i would run 4.10s in a AT, better off with 3.73s or 3.90s at most

Quick Reply: 12s possible?