Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

FR500S specfic mufflers for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
fail, its not because of the x pipe , it does not have any mid pipe, its straight pipe back to the borlas on each side.

and yes it sounds like pure ****, cammer engine is absolutly sick looking though, videos of this car are in my sig. shows under carraige without the mid pipe.
Before making your "fail" comments maybe you should get your facts straight. Take a look at this page, parts list for the FR500S, scroll down to Exhaust list and see that it clearly says "Headers and X-Pipe".
Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

you're talking about two different cars, tombstang, although he responded as if he was talking about the s was talking about the "c"
Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

X-pipes characteristically produce a higher-pitched sound than H-piped or straight-dual'ed V8's. The sound is "smoother" in that the left-right alternating "rumble" is suppressed. I might be able to put up a couple of plots to show the difference a little better than I can describe with words.

Not everybody appreciates that. I guess a deep rumble that suggests lots of cubes somehow sounds "stronger" than a high pitch that screams "lots of revs here".

I happen to like the "X" sound, but not by enough to rip out a perfectly functioning "H" to get. I would (did, actually) build an "X" system up from scratch by choice, though.

Shifting into 5th
Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-16-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Here's a couple of plots.

The top chart (Odd and Even Banks - I originally did this for the SBC cylinder numbering, but that really only affects the numbering) is for either straight duals or for an "H" pipe where not much actual flow is shared. The heavy pulses flip-flop between the banks/pipes at a different frequency (spacing, on the plot) than the individual cylinder pulses. While you hear the "character" of this you may not realize exactly what is making it happen.

The bottom chart has much smaller differences between the peaks and the low points, and all of the peaks are equally spaced. This is a classic "X".

Norm