Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which tune to order?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 AM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Which tune to order?

OK so I copied the text below from Bama's website:

***Whats the difference between the Performance, Torque and Race tunes?
The Torque and Performance programs differ in the range they are aimed at for making power. The Torque is more so a daily driver program that focuses in on the 1500-3500 rpm's band. In order to do so well in that range though it does give up a few HP up top and this is why I break it apart from my Performance adjustments. The Performance program is aimed at more of a 3000rpm and up rpm band focusing in more on the top end horsepower and all out performance driving. This is a great track tune but also works well daily driven.

The Race tune will further enhance the drivability of your new Mustang. Using the highest grade of fuel available in your area I can write a tune that will bring the throttle response to life. Enough so that I wouldn't recommend it for daily driving use as it may try to jump out from a stop and possibly even spin the tires. This wouldn't be good if you were beside a police car. One of the true benefits of this tune is that it doesn't increase the timing or reduce the fuel so it can be used with only the premium grade fuel available in your area. Finally with the automatics I use an entirely new shifting curve and torque converter scheduling to further enhance the all out performance of the car.****

These are the three tunes he has available but I am not sure which one to get. I dont want all three as I wouldnt really use them. I want to select the best all around tune for my mods, use, and driving habits. Has anyone had experiences with any of these tunes and which do you reccommend? I haev heard the TQ tune i good around town but not great at the track.Likewise, I hear the race tune is a lil much for the street but great at the track. Anyonoe done the Perf tune? I drive mostly in town and the car is my DD. I do go to the track at times also so I dont want to go with the TQ tune and lose the top end HP.
Please help
Old 12-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I've tried both the Race and Torque tune on my previous 07 auto and this 09 manual. Get the race tune man, it is a much better tune IMHO. The torque tune in both cases felt like a less potent version of the race tune. Ignore his comments about the daily driver thing and the race tune, I found it to be a complete non-issue.

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-19-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Once I get my saleen Stage 3 from Brenspeed I wont have to mess with the Diablo, but for now Bama is the only game around for downloaded tunes for the diablo.
Anyway, so the race tune was good for both DD and track? Was it too much for a DD car around town? Notice any losses low end or top end? Freeway use?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The race tune was just fine for normal driving. I didn't take the car to the track, but it is a strong tune. The throttle response is real touchy on it, but not that much more so than the torque tune (and thats sorta the point, isn't it? ). The race tune was strong across the board, but the torque tune just felt like it was lacking in general. I think they are only $50, so you could buy both and try them. I would be surprised if you chose to run the torque tune over the race tune though... I just can't imagine anyone saying "this tune is too much for a DD".

In order I liked:

Bama Race tune
Brenspeed tune
Bama Torque

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-19-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:24 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

actually if you do go to the track you might want to get the torque tune. from what all i have read the race tune is a lot of fun and the throttle response is immediate. just like the days of having a throttle cable. i always thought the race tune was the best of both worlds kind of tune. you get the low end torque of the torque tune and the top end hp of the performance tune. but after reading multiple posts on here i think the torque tune is better for a 1/8 mile track not sure how it holds up in 1/4 mile though.
im torn b/w bama and brenspeed for email tunes right now. if i get a dyno tune done im def going to memphis and let joe at dynospeed do it.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

INteresting..yeah we dont have any 1/8 mile tracks out here...I never understood the point in only 1/8 mile race but thats just me. Call me a traditionalist.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I've seen that comparison too saying the torque tune was slightly better at the track, but then again I've also seen people saying the race tune was better for them. I was just really disappointed in the torque tune... twice, on 2 different cars.

If you have an auto, there is no comparison, Bama Race ALL THE WAY. If you have a manual, it is much closer. Brenspeed makes a nice tune for the manual also, but Bama is cheaper and updates for free. Doug at Bama even sent me an emission friendly tune to run for FREE. Both vendors are class acts all the way though.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I've seen that comparison too saying the torque tune was slightly better at the track, but then again I've also seen people saying the race tune was better for them. I was just really disappointed in the torque tune... twice, on 2 different cars.

If you have an auto, there is no comparison, Bama Race ALL THE WAY. If you have a manual, it is much closer. Brenspeed makes a nice tune for the manual also, but Bama is cheaper and updates for free. Doug at Bama even sent me an emission friendly tune to run for FREE. Both vendors are class acts all the way though.
i have the maual. and i've only had the chance to ride in cars tuned by doug that were mauals with both tunes. i can only imagine how he changes the shift points and firmness of shifts with the autos. the only reason i am leaning towards brenspeed is b/c of the payment option. can spread out over a yr. and i think i want to try the jltII intake and sct3 tuner. so i might be selling my c&l racer and sct2 soon. but i know i can always take a tune off and save to computer if i want to get the race tune from doug later. and it only cost me $50.
so if ya'll know anyone who wants a tuner and cai let me know.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Post your tuner/intake in the classified forum. I sold mine within a couple of days about 2 weeks ago. Brenspeed makes a very nice tune for the manual. You can always do what I did and just try both.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:17 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Post your tuner/intake in the classified forum. I sold mine within a couple of days about 2 weeks ago. Brenspeed makes a very nice tune for the manual. You can always do what I did and just try both.
thanks and i def plan on trying both.

Quick Reply: Which tune to order?