Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

manual transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:24 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by mybrosride
oh ok i c ic..... maybe i'll start using neutral and invest in a pair of shoes..... problem is after spending the $$s for the ride + paying for the wifes crap she wants at the mall i dont have spare
i just dropped 600 bucks on my car this morning, and ill be spending about 800 tonight if jegs comes through for me.... no way in hell i would tell my gf
Old 01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

The clunking is probably the 2 piece driveshaft.

Honestly I dont think the stock clutch was very difficult to use as I found it very light for a V8 car. It is hydraulic so it is lighter than a cable clutch in the older stangs.

Sounds like there might be an issue with yours. I would take it in and have it looked at. Might be time for a new clutch or at a minimum a flush and fill on the hydraulic system.

If you need a replacement clutch I would stay OEM if you dont plan on making big power numbers. The fit the best and are very decent clutch.

99Blackpony - I like your ride alot too. I have a soft spot for 99's as that was the last mustang I had before my 07. Honestly I still think they have the best looking rear end of any mustang, defineately like it better than the fat rump on the 07 but overall I prefer the 05 ups.

It was a hard decision for me between the 07 or an 04 Termi. Somedays i wish I went termi, but 99% of the time I like all the upgrades of the 05.

Sorry for the tangent I am a little tired.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM
mybrosride
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
The clunking is probably the 2 piece driveshaft.

Honestly I dont think the stock clutch was very difficult to use as I found it very light for a V8 car. It is hydraulic so it is lighter than a cable clutch in the older stangs.

Sounds like there might be an issue with yours. I would take it in and have it looked at. Might be time for a new clutch or at a minimum a flush and fill on the hydraulic system.

If you need a replacement clutch I would stay OEM if you dont plan on making big power numbers. The fit the best and are very decent clutch.

99Blackpony - I like your ride alot too. I have a soft spot for 99's as that was the last mustang I had before my 07. Honestly I still think they have the best looking rear end of any mustang, defineately like it better than the fat rump on the 07 but overall I prefer the 05 ups.

It was a hard decision for me between the 07 or an 04 Termi. Somedays i wish I went termi, but 99% of the time I like all the upgrades of the 05.

Sorry for the tangent I am a little tired.

I think the clunky sound maybe i'm not explaining that good. its like a universal joint type noise but the guy i got it from said they were fine...I'm just wondering if maybe other GT's in 05+ have an occasional sound like this. If you get on it fairly hard it doesnt do that - just granny the car and it does it... which seems strange to me - maybe its normal - since it has 300 hp and not some 125 hp 4 banger that wouldn't have enough power to make something even "clink" or "clunk" hahah I may just drive it like 200-300 miles and see if any changes - if stays the same - probably nothing or find one at a used car lot and test drive it - take the wifes car so won't look supsicious and see if it does (find a low miles like 10-12k)

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
i just dropped 600 bucks on my car this morning, and ill be spending about 800 tonight if jegs comes through for me.... no way in hell i would tell my gf
never tell wifes or g/fs anythign. i've just had mine for like 6 months and still dont tell her everything i get yelled at for using the credit card and she sees the statement
Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

hey thanks.... thats a first for this section im pretty sure lol... i always end up posting in s197 tech on accident because i have a bad habit of hitting the New Post button which shows all posts on the entire board, and then i just post in whatever thread catches me eye that i have something to say in... most s197ers dont like my beautiful stang!! lol
i like all stangs. no matter the yr. they all get respect from me. take it easy buddy
Old 01-26-2009, 02:58 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by mybrosride
I think the clunky sound maybe i'm not explaining that good. its like a universal joint type noise but the guy i got it from said they were fine...I'm just wondering if maybe other GT's in 05+ have an occasional sound like this. If you get on it fairly hard it doesnt do that - just granny the car and it does it... which seems strange to me - maybe its normal - since it has 300 hp and not some 125 hp 4 banger that wouldn't have enough power to make something even "clink" or "clunk" hahah I may just drive it like 200-300 miles and see if any changes - if stays the same - probably nothing or find one at a used car lot and test drive it - take the wifes car so won't look supsicious and see if it does (find a low miles like 10-12k)

never tell wifes or g/fs anythign. i've just had mine for like 6 months and still dont tell her everything i get yelled at for using the credit card and she sees the statement
my gf is very anti racing... so i keep my relationship between me and my car to myself lol
Old 01-26-2009, 02:58 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
i like all stangs. no matter the yr. they all get respect from me. take it easy buddy
umm.... you must have forgotten about the mustang II
Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 PM
mybrosride
1st Gear Member

haha word.........
Old 01-26-2009, 03:14 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

lmao. exactly i did. but i guess they were all built for a reason.

and to mybrocar...good idea on gettin a good pair of shoes to wear while you drive the stang. lol enjoy the new ride buddy
Old 01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I can tell you almost 100% the clunking is a two peice driveshaft. It only does it at light throttle it is fairly loud. It is normal but I still hate it.

A 1 piece alum driveshaft is next on my mod list.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:19 PM
mybrosride
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
lmao. exactly i did. but i guess they were all built for a reason.

and to mybrocar...good idea on gettin a good pair of shoes to wear while you drive the stang. lol enjoy the new ride buddy
idk man...i can feel that powa behind that 4.6 better barefoot and do a few burnouts too

Quick Reply: manual transmission question