Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Having to add coolant normal ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Default Having to add coolant normal ?? UPDATE 3/20/09

I've had to add not a LOT, but quite a bit of collant over the 3 years that i've had the car. And two seperate times i drove a short trip (about 8 miles) and after parking and letting it sit for about five minutes the car dumped about a half gallon of antifreeze. There are no visible leaks as the car is garaged and there are no leaks on the ground yet im still having to add coolant. I drove the car from new york to florida and back over the course of almost two weeks. The night before I left I added coolant while the engine was cold to be right in the middle of the "full cold" range. And i checked again when i got back a few days ago and now the level is right below the "full cold" range... My warranty is up in about 2 months.... any ideas ??

oh ya, the times it dumped coolant and i brought it to the dealer they couldnt find a problem, added coolant and shipped me.

Last edited by 06stangGT; 03-20-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

The fact that you are losing this much coolant but actually cant find where it is going has me asking one question. When you notice losing abunch of coolant have you ever drained your oil imediately afterwards? The only reason this comes to mind is because you say you dont see it anywhere on the ground, and if you have a bad head gasket then the coolant will leak into the pistons and mix with the oil basically. Im not saying this is your problem, but its an idea to check the oil next time you notice a lot of coolant missing.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Is your overflow cap sealing? I had to replace mine once all ready.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hufenstang
The fact that you are losing this much coolant but actually cant find where it is going has me asking one question. When you notice losing abunch of coolant have you ever drained your oil imediately afterwards? The only reason this comes to mind is because you say you dont see it anywhere on the ground, and if you have a bad head gasket then the coolant will leak into the pistons and mix with the oil basically. Im not saying this is your problem, but its an idea to check the oil next time you notice a lot of coolant missing.
i was thinkin the same. the coolant has to be going somewhere to lose that much over a short period of time. or he could have just gotten an air pocket and thats what made it drop down to below full. i would def have ford check the head gasket though before you run out of warranty. good luck. let us know what/ if anything that they find.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

And two seperate times i drove a short trip (about 8 miles) and after parking and letting it sit for about five minutes the car dumped about a half gallon of antifreeze.
I was assuming he meant there was coolant on the ground? Had to come out the cap.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

i thought he said in the original post that he hadnt noticed any visible leak on his garage floor.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Thats not normal.
The cooling system is a sealed pressurized system
and coolent loss is a sign of a problem somewhere.
Any big rash of cat deaths from anti-freeze poisining
in your neighborhood over the last, lets say, 3 years?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

The only time ive seen coolant on the ground are the two times i drove for about 8 miles and i watched it dump about a half gallon under the engine. As far as the cap being sealed, there is a sign on the backside of the reservoir where it looks like coolant has dripped down the side of the reservoir from the cap. I cleaned it up a little bit last night but i will take a picture on my lunch break and post it up. But other than that, i have never seen any leaks
Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

You actually had some on the ground at one point? And the dealer said no problem?

Wonderful troubleshooting there from the sounds of it.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
You actually had some on the ground at one point? And the dealer said no problem?

Wonderful troubleshooting there from the sounds of it.
I agree, the dealership is just going to try and play you until your out of warranty. If you actually see coolant on the ground then i would try replacing the cap first off.

Quick Reply: Having to add coolant normal ??