Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Oil Change - Got me Nervous

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:38 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Oil Change - Got me Nervous

OK - Changed the oil in my 07GT without thinking . I put Val 5 30 in it, not thinking what was already in it, since this car is new to me.

My question is should I find out what was in it probably factory Motorcraft 5 20 and switch back or just stick with what I've already put in it. The car has around 1,600 miles on the new oil, but has burnt off about a qt and a half.

Huge investment here and got me stressin, any insight would be MUCH appreciated
Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by WHT5.0
OK - Changed the oil in my 07GT without thinking . I put Val 5 30 in it, not thinking what was already in it, since this car is new to me.

My question is should I find out what was in it probably factory Motorcraft 5 20 and switch back or just stick with what I've already put in it. The car has around 1,600 miles on the new oil, but has burnt off about a qt and a half.

Huge investment here and got me stressin, any insight would be MUCH appreciated
If you are burning oil at a rate of 1 1/2 quarts every 1600 miles,
the weight of the oil is the last of your worries......
Leave whats in it and find out where the oil is going.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:07 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

You shouldn't have to add ANY with that low of mileage. Heck, mine has 50K now and I don't burn off any.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

+3

Burning that much oil. Wow. Something strange going on there for sure. 5-30 is fine.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

I think I over exaggerated a bit. Its not at fill level or anything, about half way down on the add level. The millage was over 2 days on a road trip. I think i'm just freaking out a bit, something would have happened by now if it was going to me major. I just don't know if I should switch back or stay with v530.

I can expect to burn some oil, putting the car through that much driving in that amount of time right?

Car has 25K on it
Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I don't think so. I've got an old honda with way more mileage that doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil. None nada.

If it were me I'd drain the fill, change the filter, and put in a new fill of some good stuff like pennzoil platinum 5-20 or 5-30. Or mobil1. Whatever. Carefully note the level on the dipstick. Then drive the car for a while and keep an eye on it. Also check around for leaks under the car frequently.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:48 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it is a huge investment, so the only
way to ease your stress, is to put
in the factory recommended oil.

even if 150 people told you to use something
else, i think you would still be worried a little, so
time to take care of business.

i often run 5w-30 in the summer. being it's
still on the cool side where i live, i just did
a change and stuck with 5-20.

Originally Posted by WHT5.0

Huge investment here and got me stressin, any
insight would be MUCH appreciated
Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The oil level on the dipstick should be between the cross hairs, not to the tippy top like some on here like to do. If you fill it up that full, it will just suck more into your intake through the pcv valve. That reminds me, I need to go empty my catch can.

6 quarts.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:32 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

I know its not leaking or spraying anywhere. Im trying to track down the previous owner and find out what he had in it. Then I'll probably switch back to that. I really don't want to put a different type of oil in it, then it would have 3 different types in 3 changes = bad.

What oil are you all running - have you switched - if so to what?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

6 quarts even puts it right in the middle of the two dots IME. Another few ounces of oil takes it up to the top dot. It really doesn't take much more to overfill it. I'd listen to moose and just use the 6 even. I'm not going to top mine off next time and do the same.

It's not going to hurt the car to change the oil brand unless you put some crappy stuff in there. Which is hard to do these days since most brands are at least decent out to 3,000 miles. Personally I've read on bobistheoilguy that Pennzoil Platinum is the best stuff out there if you want to go with non boutique oils. Mobil 1 isn't bad either.

Quick Reply: Oil Change - Got me Nervous