Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Amsoil feedback requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by provofam
kcmarti, thanks for the reply I travel alot as well and my stang is my daily driver. I love this car and definitely want to drive it for many years to come. By the way, how's it drive after that many miles?
Runs as strong today, with 101K+ miles on the odometer, as it did when I picked it up with 2.4 miles on the odometer. And it is not babied all the time - I do 10 to 20 trips to the track each season in addition to being a DD.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 AM
provofam
1st Gear Member

Well, I got home yesterday (Monday) after placing the order on Friday and the oil was waiting for me on the doorstep. With work and family time being hectic I'm hoping to get the oil changed sometime this week. It is interesting that the mileage improvements could be from the differential change. I'm hoping to install 4.10 or 3.73 gears soon and will definitely buy Amsoil's diff oil for the shop's install.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

If you get Amsoil gear oil, you MUST use their slip-lock additive.
I already tried SevereGear without any additive (suppose to be in it already). Within 2 days I had chatter. Went to the local parts store and added their additive. This time it took 2 weeks before chatter came around. That time, I changed the whole thing out again with Severe Gear and Amsoil Slip-lock, and haven't had a problem since.
You need 2 qts of oil plus the additive.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:20 PM
provofam
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
If you get Amsoil gear oil, you MUST use their slip-lock additive.
I already tried SevereGear without any additive (suppose to be in it already). Within 2 days I had chatter. Went to the local parts store and added their additive. This time it took 2 weeks before chatter came around. That time, I changed the whole thing out again with Severe Gear and Amsoil Slip-lock, and haven't had a problem since.
You need 2 qts of oil plus the additive.
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely make sure that I get the Slip-lock when I change out gears
Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by provofam
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely make sure that I get the Slip-lock when I change out gears
yeah I added the slip lock to mine too
its better to use it and not need it, than to not use it and need it.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Been a synthetic user for nearly 30 years. Used Redline in CA for many of them. Moved to NC, no more Redline. A CA friend of more than twenty years has always been an Amsoil fan, that is what I chose for NC.

Changed the '05 GT at it's 5k interval the first thing I noticed when I started it is that I'm DAMN SURE that if runs quieter! I also chaged out the 5 speed with Amsoil ATF and "Tufoil" an additive I've been using for about 200k after the machinist that built my last car recomended it. Six ounces Tufoil in the engine, and a 10% mix in the transmission. Sticking with 5k interval on the GT.

My '89 GMC now has 179k on it. In CA with 4k intervals of Redline it used about 1 quart per 4k miles. Now coming up on it's third 8k interval in NC with Amsoil 10W-30. Those first two changes I bought a spare quart for useage. This time I only bought three quarts because the "spare" two quarts never got opened! Also use Tufoil in the GMC.

My '04 Yamaha FJR1300ABS got introduced to Amsoil Cycle Oil 10W-40 yesterday! I'm DAMN SURE it is quieter also! It sounds like it has hydraulic lifters for pete's sake! Also changed out the differential for an Amsoil gear lube the same time. Sure sounded pretty on today's 100 mile ride. Also use Tufoil in the FJR.

Won't change from Amsoil, won't change from Tufoil.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

why not use 5w20?? i have never used amsoil, might try switching over to it.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:02 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StickShifty
I'm using 0W-20 Amsoil. New stuff, better, it be said. Amsoil guy showed me specs on the oils, I'm not a "tech", but there were a set of numbers in there that said the weights were not that far different, but the "0" had some good attributes.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StickShifty
Amsoil does not have a 5W20 in full synthetic. They only offer it in their XL7500 line.
The difference between 0W and 5W is cold weather pour point. Once at operating temperature, both oils perform like a 20.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
torrediruggiero

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I switched to AMSOIL after using (and being satisfied with) Mobil 1 for many years. I just became convinced AMSOIL was the very best. I use 0W20 along with their Ea filter. I am doing the 10K mile change.
I thought that my 2008 Mustang GT took 5W20?

Quick Reply: Amsoil feedback requested