Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

WHAT TYPE OF SYNTHETIC SHOULD I USE

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
torrediruggiero

Post WHAT TYPE OF SYNTHETIC SHOULD I USE

Hello. I have a 2008 Mustang GT (stock) and I need oppinions on what name brand synthetic oil I should use. Is the ROUSH (valvoline) synthetic any good?
What should i use? I only want the best for my car.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Whatever full synthetic brand you can pick up local at Walmart.

I started off with Royal Purple, but when I was down a quart and couldn't find any, switched to Mobil.

Last edited by Margarita Girl; 04-06-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

It's pretty much all good. Walmart stuff is fine like MG says. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, are both real good. I'm sure Valvoline would be fine.

If you ever decide to use an expensive boutique oil which is IMO questionable as far as it being really worth it. Stick with Amsoil or Redline.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

If you change your oil and filter at the recommended interval, the dino stuff is fine. That said, if you feel like you must use synthetic, any of the major brands should be fine. You'll never know or see the difference IMHO. I've spent a bunch of money over the years on synthetic across over a dozen sport/performance cars, and I can honestly say I have zero evidence to suggest that it ever made a bit of difference.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you don't use Amsoil, your car will roll over dead.

Seriously, ANY synthetic is fine if you're going with oil changes beyond 8,000 miles. Synthetic blend is fine if you're changing your oil up to 7,500 miles.

Synthetic oil provides no better lubrication than blend or dino. It will allow you to be more abusive and for a longer period of time. If you can afford it, buy whatever oil is the most expensive so you can feel better...
Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 PM
maddad

i have 1987 expedition that has 288000 on the same motor still runs great i use full senthetic pennzoil from day one
Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by torrediruggiero
Hello. I have a 2008 Mustang GT (stock) and I need oppinions on what name brand synthetic oil I should use. Is the ROUSH (valvoline) synthetic any good?
What should i use? I only want the best for my car.
Thanks

Check this out.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I use 5w20 Royal Purple..............'cause its handy at the shop.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:22 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Buy whatever brand you're loyal to. I happen to be a fan of open wheel racing and Mobil 1 has been highly touted within their ranks. I highly doubt with the way I drive my cars that I would ever notice a difference between it or Amsoil or Royal Purple. Just pick one and change your oil like it was a prescribed bodiliy function and you will be just fine...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
tony351

OK, my Mustang is supercharged and have been told that the engine life will be significantly reduced. For this reason I was considering switching to a full synth on my next only change. First, will it be to soon to switch at ~8000 miles. Second, will it increase the life of the engine, or as mentioned on a previous post, will it only allow me to change my oil less frequently?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tony351
...I was considering switching to a full synth on my next only change. First, will it be to soon to switch at ~8000 miles. Second, will it increase the life of the engine, or as mentioned on a previous post, will it only allow me to change my oil less frequently?
Many here have changed from the stock synthetic blend to full synthetic within the first 2,000 miles.. Some as early as 500 miles. IMO, not a problem for you to change now/at next oil change.

Again, IMO, providing you're using a quality oil and filter, ANY of these whether dino, blend or full synthetic will provide equal protection when changed at frequency suitable for that oil type. I've had 13 cars with many of them going over 200,000 miles; some on dino at 3,000 mile oil/filter changes and some on full synthetic at 8,000 -10,000 mile oil and filter changes. NONE burned or used oil. Take it for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: WHAT TYPE OF SYNTHETIC SHOULD I USE