Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

4.10 auto!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mister Roper
What he said.
Nope.

(boldface in the quoted material mine)
Originally Posted by quote in part from page 5 of the 2008 Owner's Guide
Your vehicle does not need extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1000 miles (1600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in..
Not needing extensive break-in does NOT mean that it doesn't need any break-in at all. The Owner's Guide is basically saying "take it a little easy for the first 1000 miles and everything will be adequately broken in". Therefore, there is no need to specify individual break-in procedures for every individual component.

Originally Posted by same source
Drive your new vehicle at least 1000 miles (1600 km) before towing a trailer.
This has to do with how much power is being used and is an indication of how heavily the gear teeth are being loaded. It would apply to extended high speed operation as well, and to some extent to more than moderate acceleration.

That's if you consider the car to be a "keeper", anyway. Nothing I say will change the minds of those who think that nothing has to be long-term or durable and that everything is disposable.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-15-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I did notice a slight drop in the gas milege, though I have been taking the long way home, to work etc. to get some more miles in.

The car really wants to get up and go now.. I gave it some throttle off the line and it really wants to scoot along. I can break the tires loose slightly by just tapping on the gas.

I already know I am gonna love this mod lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:44 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

dang it.. I am getting a tiny bit of whine now. I couldn't help but get on it a little but after only 100 miles. It's barely audible but still bugs me that I have any type of noise...

or maybe it's just in my head, it's so faint, if I turn the stereo up I can't even hear it.

It REALLY wants to get up and go now.. as if it just wants to accelerate all the time.

noice..
Old 04-19-2009, 04:26 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

so far, so good.. put about 300 miles the new gear so far.

gas mileage dropped noticeably, though I have been driving around for a few hours just cruising, used about a 1/4 tank of gas.

I got on it a little on the freeway with the O/D off and it pulls real hard up top, though unless I get some more whp or a supercharger, feels like it'll hit a plateau in speed at about 125 or so.

I did a few light DIG runs, and WOW.. I can tell it will pull like a freight train once I get the right set of tires and tune.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM
one.wicked.stang
2nd Gear Member

whats your RPMS on the highway? I have an 06 Auto and am having the what gears should I get argument with myself, 3.73s or 4.10s. I do drive 50 miles round trip to work, about 40 is all highway. You mentioned whine, is it gone?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

well, my speedo isn't corrected (nor either is the tach I am assuming) because I am running my old tune. But right now, at about 60mph it's at 2000 rpms, riding on fat snow tires, at 80 I think it sits right at 2800 or so.

I know that sucks, but I just drive in the slow lane lol.

The whine is faint if non-existent now. With the radio on normal volume, it disappears.

PS.
did a couple test runs on the top end pull.. it's actually faster WITH the OD on, though it feels torquier with the OD off, say for passing purposes. Manually shifting, it makes the gears so much more usable..

Last edited by stealth_GT; 04-21-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Got a standard transmission with a brenspeed tune and I have pegged the speedometer. I bet you can too. The 4.10s' are great!!! Being that you have the automatic , it's like having 4.30s'. I don't believe it should be too much difference.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
well, my speedo isn't corrected (nor either is the tach I am assuming)
The tach only has to read engine rpm, which is what it is. So that instrument is reading OK. The tune only has to correct the speedometer.

PS.
did a couple test runs on the top end pull.. it's actually faster WITH the OD on, though it feels torquier with the OD off..
I'm a little curious about this. Partly, I'm not sure what you mean by "faster WITH the OD on". Do you know if OD off unlocks the torque converter either as OE or with your tune?

Norm
Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

O/D is his traction control right?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Street_Stallions
whats your RPMS on the highway? I have an 06 Auto and am having the what gears should I get argument with myself, 3.73s or 4.10s. I do drive 50 miles round trip to work, about 40 is all highway. You mentioned whine, is it gone?
i have 4.10s on my auto too and 2800 rpm at 80 is correct.the main question is how much traffic do you drive in.i put 60 miles round trip from home to work but is in miami traffic so 60 is the most i see for a mile or so before i have to stop for more traffic again.
i have a question for you people with 4.10s sorry to hijack for a second here.lets say your driving at 60 and you let go of the gas,dont you feel when the car starts to slow down like if theres more weight to it than before.to me it feels like if your towing something but your not.before it used to decelerate smoother and now after the gears it feels more ruff i guess.
anyone gets this feeling with the 4.10s

Quick Reply: 4.10 auto!