Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine hiccup opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:00 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine hiccup opinions needed

When driving along every once in while the engine feels like you un-plug a coil or something for a split second. You can drive serveral miles without a problem then it does it. I get no light but it seems as though a cyclinder just quits for a split second. If I get on it it will briefly cut out at about 6k just as it going to shift. D0 you think its a bad coil or a plug. I have the GMS X-stream cop's and Brisk plugs. I'm going to put the stock cop's back on tommorow and see what happens. When I first installed the cop's a couple weeks back everything was good, but this problem has been going on the past few days.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Any chance you got some water in the fuel tank or some bad gas? Is this happening while driving steady-state or under acceleration? More info...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Just driving stedy; also when sitting at a stop light. I have run the tank down to under half then filled back up didn't seem to make a difference.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 AM
lou328
1st Gear Member

I am having the same exact problem. I can't figure it out. Please any information would be great. Could it have anything to do with the TPS sensor?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I had that issue a few months back it was surging and didnt throw any codes. I had the fuel filter replaced with a high flow unit was probably just dirty though and the problem went away. Not sure if it is the same thing but it is a cheap place to start looking and a good idea to change the filter out ever so often anyway.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 PM
lou328
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I am going to try that. What would you say is a good fuel filter? Is there anything else you can think of that would make these cars do that?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I had the fuel filter changed a year ago this month, I have less then 10k since. They put on an after market one can't remember the brand. Which brand high flow did you use, I didn't know there was one made.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I solved the problem, I took the pos GMS coils off and replaced them with the stock ones, the car now runs perfect, 0-6k rpm's not a miss. I was in denial thinking it was everything except the cop's, I didn't want to admit to myself, I flushed 470.00 dollars down the toliet but I guess I did. I have never seen such a generic item that cost this much. The wires didn't fit right you had to stretch them to connect, the plactic parts on the metal connectors broke off. I'm going to send them back but it's a replacement only warranty, I'll try to sell the new ones on e-bay. I will never ever get sucked in buying after market coils again. I should have taken everyone's advice and left the stock one's on.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 AM
lou328
1st Gear Member

Glad you fixed the problem. I havent changed those out so I doubt those r the problem. I just bought a k&n oil filter and Fram Fuel filter I have to change the oil now anyway so I figured Ill change those out too and see if anything gets better. Also I use k&n air filter and I have been told that the oil from the filter sometimes gets on the MAF sensor and will give the engine hiccups, so I bought some MAF sensor cleaner from amazon and will be trying that too.

I have been hearing alot that since there is 10% ethonol in the gas now that the fuel filters and mesh fuel filter in the gas tank get clogged really quick now. I guess the ethonol forms some kind of thick sludge or something.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 PM
timriney

Cool same thing

I have the same thing happening. Mine is 2005 gt oem coil packs. Just happens at idle in gear, less in neutral, and not at speed. I am going to change out the plugs, and then the coil packs. Unless someone has a better idea. I was also told that there was a problem with the original plugs and they like to break off in the cylinder head. Anyone heard of that?

Quick Reply: Engine hiccup opinions needed