Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2007 GT 4.6 ticking noise????

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:48 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Default 2007 GT 4.6 ticking noise????

I hope I have this post in the right forum. Please bare with me, I am very concerned.
I have a 2007 Mustang GT with just under 20,000 miles on it. At about 7 thousand miles I had a Saleen SuperCharger and 475hp upgrade kit installed. It was done by a Saleen authorized Dealer/shop. Recently I started hearing a tick, tick, ticking noise. It seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine. I didn't think much of it at first, but my son was visiting today and when we stopped at the local quickstop store for ice, he walked past the front end and when he got back in he said, "Dad your car has a very noticable ticking noise".

So, I know for sure that it is not just my imagination now. So when we got home I went and got my stethascope, (not sure if that is spelled correctly, but I am sure you know what I mean). We both did the examination to make sure, and went completely around the engine. What we both found was the same. Looking at the engine from the front of the car, on the passenger side of the engine, the second plug back from the front, the ticking was very much louder/heavier. I am not a major mechanic, I only do the simple things, parts changer etc.. Does each plug have an individual coil on top of it? If so, or what ever the part is, this is where we put the stethascope rod to listen to each cylinder. We also put the rod on the manifold and valve covers etc. etc.. But the best sound results came from putting the rod on the top of each coil on top of each plug. And as I stated above, the sound was loudest/heaviest on the second back cylinder from front of engine on the passenger side.

My car gets very little hard driving. I have only run it twice at the track after the Super Charger install. I got a 12.5 quater mile time, and my son did better with a 12.2 time. But other than that it gets driven very little. The largest part of the 20,000 miles is from a trip my wife and I took when we first bought the car back in November of 06. I am covered by my warranty still, plus we purchased a lifetime engine warranty from our dealer. It was only offered to a few dearlers here in Arizona. But I wanted to ask you all for your advice before I take it in for you all have helped me in the past in a very big way.

I had a problem with front end noise and the dealer kept putting off as saying it was normal. But with all your help and write-ups, which I took with me to the dealer, they finally took me serious and did the TSB and relpaced my front struts etc. etc.

So I thought I would as your help again. This is the best forum and folks on the web. I appreciate everyones help, and hope that someday I can repay the favor with some of my knowledge.

Thank you in advance,
Keith Orr (Casper)
Rim Country Mustang Club - Pres.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

doesn't sound serious to me.....might be nothing....

let's hear what the dealership has to say
about it....

good luck and let us know what it turns out
to be.

Last edited by hammeron; 04-26-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 AM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

I will be making an appointment in the morning. Hopefully it wont be a long delay in getting it in. I would like to know asap, so I don't cause any damage in the event it is not a good sign. I will write again when I get it back from the dealer.
Thank you for your help,

Keith
Old 04-27-2009, 07:06 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

The fuel injectors in my 05 gt have always made a fairly loud ticking sound . Maybe thats the case.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by brunobluto
The fuel injectors in my 05 gt have always made a fairly loud ticking sound . Maybe thats the case.
The injectors on our Stangs ARE a common source of noise. Let's hope that's all it is.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

There is even a TSB out for ticking noise on this car. I can't remember which one it is off hand though.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Doesn't the Saleen 475 kit come with new injectors? I take it he's not using stock injectors.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 PM
goose5
1st Gear Member

sounds like a cam phaser
Old 04-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

TSB 06-9-11

LOUD TICKING NOISE—3-VALVE ENGINES—STUCK LASH ADJUSTER

You might want to check into this.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:56 AM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Wow! Thank you all. It is great to have a place to post questions and get support and information back. You all are a big reason why I participate in this forum. I have an appointment to drop off my car Wednesday night after work and the dealer will take a look at it Thursday. I am going to print out your suggestions and give them to the service manager for referrence. I did this exact thing when I had my front end noise issue. I printed out the comments and suggestions and findings that everyone gave me concerning my front end noise, and gave them to the service manager. Not only did it help them in finding the problem, the service manager actually thanked me for the research. I hope that the first answer they give me wont be. "that this is a characteristic of the car".

My car doesn't seem to act any different, or loose any performance due to this noise, but it is loud and sounds wrong. Last week at one of our local car shows, I had more than one person tell me that my car sounds like I shouldn't drive it until I have the dealer check it out. It is loud and very concerning.

I will definitely post the results of the findings from my dealer when I get my car back.
Thank you again to everyone,

Keith
RCMC - Pres.

Quick Reply: 2007 GT 4.6 ticking noise????