Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

06 GT Clunk Sounds from Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
06Maverick

Exclamation 06 GT Clunk Sounds from Rear End

Was wondering if anyone has experience this problem and has been able to have it resolved? Ive developed a clunk/chatter/jarring coming from the rear of my car. It sounds like its located in the right rear area. Ive climbed underneath the car, and checked everything to make sure its tight.

The sound is frequent when driving on bumpy roads or dips in the street. It sounds like something is loose. I have had it checked out by the dealer and they cant find anything...

Could it be the rearend itself? If so, does anyone know what type of rearends are in these cars? Is it a floating c-clip setup or a traditional setup like a FORD 9"? Is there a TSB for it?

Heres my suspension setup:
Eibach Pro Kit Coils
SVT Front Strut Mounts
SVT Front LCAs
SVT Rear LCAs
BMR Adjustable Panhard

Any info is appreciated as my dealer is really willing to work with me on this, but I cant find the cause and neither can they.... Thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:51 PM
dolint95
1st Gear Member

I also have a 2006 Mustang GT that does the same damn thing! At low speeds when I pull in driveways and such...there is like a clunking in the rear end, check to see if there is any play in the two bushings that the sway bar runs through. Also, take your sway bar off and see if that resolves the problem, if so, then you may need to get a new setup. I have to do the same thing, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Too worried about ordering my blower..
Old 05-11-2009, 06:01 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I've got the same noise myself... seems to have only reared it's head once I installed my LCAs.

I really just started noticing it the past few days and they've been on for about 2 weeks now. It almost sounds like the driveshaft...
Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

yea when i changed my LCAs with welded relocation brackets i got a clunking noise. I was told it could be due to an incorrect pinion angle. So I also changed to an adjustable UCA and corrected the pinion angle. But the noise is still there.

I hear it anytime i shift gears and enage the clutch or hit a bump.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I believe it's slop in the driveline. Specifically the output of the transmission (manual).
Try this. Leave transmission in 1st, clutch out when you pull into driveway or wherever you know it makes the noise. Use brakes to slow your speed. You won't hear the noise...
With the driveshaft off you can grab the output flange of the tranny and it has a lot of slop...

I think it's always there, you just hear it more with aftermarket control arms with stiffer bushings...
Old 05-11-2009, 07:43 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by doctorstrobe
I believe it's slop in the driveline. Specifically the output of the transmission (manual).
Try this. Leave transmission in 1st, clutch out when you pull into driveway or wherever you know it makes the noise. Use brakes to slow your speed. You won't hear the noise...
With the driveshaft off you can grab the output flange of the tranny and it has a lot of slop...

I think it's always there, you just hear it more with aftermarket control arms with stiffer bushings...
Hmmm... that makes sense. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a whirl on the drive into work tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

There are a couple of things, I have been down this road. First there is some slop in the axles so you can get a slight clunk when slowing and reving back up. Primarily the clunking comes from aftermarket control arms, most have regular size bolt openings, while the Ford acceptor brackets are for millimeters, so there is just enough of a gap to cause clunking under heavy load, problem persists even at high speed just not as noticeable, so you can do a few things. Use washers to secure the bolts to the brackets, get relocation brackets (BMR, etc...) so that way the bolts fit tight, or just live with it. I have gone with the later, someday I will swap out the stock upper and lower contral arm brackets and that should do the trick but they are expensive for what they are, the real fault lies with vendors as they should have made the fitment perfect, obviously they didn't test or didn't spec out the part dimensions for the vehicle.

Adding any aftermarket suspension parts will usually generate more noise than stock so you have to figure out what's more important, this isn't a cadillac !!! lol
Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

would an aluminum drive shaft reduce the noise?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

My 06 does this as well. Clunking or a chuckle sound coming from the rear end like something is loose back there. Only does it under certain conditions. Washboard pavement on the road or pulling into my driveway. If I have a bit of speed getting into the driveway it tends to not do it as much. But it almost always does.

Mine has always done it, even before installing the Steeda LCA.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:30 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

my 06 does this as well! have brought it to the dealer several times and they can't find anything. Only suspension mod i have is the pro-kit. and this noise was there before i installed this. everybody else that has posted so far is dead on, certain conditions, low speeds, pulling into driveway. what to do!?

Quick Reply: 06 GT Clunk Sounds from Rear End