Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

first time burn out.!!!:) and some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:02 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Default first time burn out.!!!:) and some questions..

well, first time burn out my baby with only 700 miles on it.. i turn the traction control off, and try to find the best time reach 0-60.. at first, i try 6 six times, 3 times with overdrive off, and three times with overdrive on. it looks like the time from 0-60 does not have much differences between the overdrive on or off, but it looks easy to burn out when turning the overdrive off.. (easy to reach 3000 rpm) . any ideas?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Overdrive button only locks out 5th gear. You wouldn't get to fifth gear on a 0-60 run.

Do you power brake to burnout or just stomp the gas pedal? My stupid car won't even burn out without a little power brake action.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:25 AM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bonestang
Overdrive button only locks out 5th gear. You wouldn't get to fifth gear on a 0-60 run.

Do you power brake to burnout or just stomp the gas pedal? My stupid car won't even burn out without a little power brake action.
i use power brake today, btw, do u use auto or 5speed? or may be u forget to turn the traction control off...
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 AM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Auto - Thats why I was wondering since you are auto too.

Even with traction control off. I've made that mistake before and I looked like an idiot trying to do a powerbrake. lol
Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bonestang

My stupid car won't even burn out without a little power brake action.
With your mods that really suprises me
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

I can't understand why folks even bother with autos, for me its 5 speed all the way
Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
I can't understand why folks even bother with autos, for me its 5 speed all the way
Wife also drives it and I didn't want her to wreck it on the way to work trying to drink coffee and eat a bagle and shift at the same time. lol

It really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've always had 5 spd manual and loved them. It (auto) can shift quick as crap at WOT, but it does take some practice to get performance at part throttle without it shifting all over the place.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
u should know, people all have their reasons to chose auto, that's why people create auto on a muscle car... although it need more accelerate time and decrease speed time than manual, it still fun...
this GT is the New one i haven't put any mods on it. but i still can try to reach 0-60 in 5.2-5.3 sec...
Old 05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by raywang5
u should know, people all have their reasons to chose auto, that's why people create auto on a muscle car... although it need more accelerate time and decrease speed time than manual, it still fun...
this GT is the New one i haven't put any mods on it. but i still can try to reach 0-60 in 5.2-5.3 sec...
No burnout problems here just set the line lock, put it in second drop the clutch at 4k. Don't know my 0-60 time, but my 0-93.471 is 7.71 seconds.

You waited 700 miles for the first burnout? I did mine leaving the dealership.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

i have trouble breaking my tires loose as well unless i totally dump the clutch. It is bad for showing off, but good for safety and actual racing.

Quick Reply: first time burn out.!!!:) and some questions..