Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Delete plates or Gears????

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:24 AM
Pale Horse
1st Gear Member

Default Delete plates or Gears????

Hi guys, I am newb here, however, I have been lurking and reading for some time now. I have a 2005 Mustang GT Auto that is completely stock at the moment but will not be much longer. I am doing the following mods next week - Tuner with BamaChip's 93 tunes, JLT intake & Pypes Off road H-Pipe while retaining the factory mufflers (for now). Next on the list (within the next month) will be either Delete plates or 4.10 gears. I will eventually do both, just trying to decide what to do first. I am leaning towards doing the gears first, as I figure they will net a more noticable gain. Is there something else you guys would reccomend doing before gears or the delete plates? Also, are the delete plates really even worth doing at this point? Future mods down the road will be long tubes, possibly axle back if I get tired of the stockers and eventually cams....

Thanks in advance,
Ian
Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

gears

/ thread
Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Hi guys, I am newb here, however, I have been lurking and reading for some time now. I have a 2005 Mustang GT Auto that is completely stock at the moment but will not be much longer. I am doing the following mods next week - Tuner with BamaChip's 93 tunes, JLT intake & Pypes Off road H-Pipe while retaining the factory mufflers (for now). Next on the list (within the next month) will be either Delete plates or 4.10 gears. I will eventually do both, just trying to decide what to do first. I am leaning towards doing the gears first, as I figure they will net a more noticable gain. Is there something else you guys would reccomend doing before gears or the delete plates? Also, are the delete plates really even worth doing at this point? Future mods down the road will be long tubes, possibly axle back if I get tired of the stockers and eventually cams....

Thanks in advance,
Ian
Hi PH...
In my opinion, it's Definately the 4:10 gears first and then the delete plates shortly down the road. Knowing what I know now, I would have done my gears and 1piece aluminum driveshaft all together and saved on the double time and double labor costs. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction though . Good luck..!!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:28 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Gears are the best bang for your buck, aluminum driveshaft, CAI, tune, nitrous!, delete plates are negligible and expensive
Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
tx-skydiver
1st Gear Member

I totally agree that gears mak ALOT of difference that is noticable, but there is alot of mention of the aluminum driveshaft. Why should this be in his arsenal now? what kinds of gains can he get with this vs. the stocker?

I am also asking for my benefit.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Pale Horse
1st Gear Member

I would imagine about the only thing an aluminium driveshaft offers is a wieght savings......Am I wrong about that? I would think that it woud not be that much of a weight savings either...
Old 05-15-2009, 08:24 AM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

the DS is not only lighter but the car feels better when accelerating. less rotational mass.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:51 AM
sccaii
1st Gear Member

Gears would be my vote. What rpm are you guys with 4:10's or 3:73's turning at 70mph and how did it affect your 1/4 mile and trap speeds?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
I totally agree that gears mak ALOT of difference that is noticable, but there is alot of mention of the aluminum driveshaft. Why should this be in his arsenal now? what kinds of gains can he get with this vs. the stocker?

I am also asking for my benefit.
Well, they certainly can be expensive....but you just have to weigh out what you are really working towards and what you can afford (IMO)..
They say that the 1 Piece aluminum Driveshaft will...
Improve strength
improve dreaded clunking
weighs only 17-18 lbs.....about 30 lbs lighter then stock
reduces rotating mass
revs much freer
1-2 tents in 1/4 mile

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 05-15-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

gears

Quick Reply: Delete plates or Gears????