Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

300RWHP- Mission Accomplished, Much Learned

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't sweat the minor change after the shorties, UDPs and the X. I have my reservations about dyno runs and knowing the variances in the equipment and the other variables that you really can't be sure if the addition from those mods were really that low unless you can get multiple runs over a period of time (but unless you own the shop, how many of us can afford that?). However, this COULD solidify somewhat the debate over shorties vs. LT's.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:12 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

personally, I will most likely get as many mods that will compliement the addition of a SC minus the ones that will not ( pulleys, delete plates). might not be exactly 300 whp but I'd be pretty close I would think;

3.73 gears
bama race tune
C&L Racer CAI
JBA ceramic shorty headers
dual exhaust cut outs
spydershafts
PI 3000 stall torque converter

.. if that doesn't break me into the high 12s.. I give up!

I'll get a super charger! lol..
Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
personally, I will most likely get as many mods that will compliement the addition of a SC minus the ones that will not ( pulleys, delete plates). might not be exactly 300 whp but I'd be pretty close I would think;
That's what I have in mind as well, to me delete plates aren't worth it at all, but depending on what supercharger you go with your CAI will have to come off too. I went with the UDP cuz it's easy and pretty cheap, but obviously they won't stay. Everything at this point is just to hold me over until I can afford the Whipple.

Steve
Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Stealth GT.. did you factor DA when you checked your time? I ran a 13.5 at 102mph da was 4,000ft though so it came down to around 12.9 at 107mph.. ofcourse i ahve a brenspeed 93 tune and the deleteplates/udps..
Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Stealth GT.. did you factor DA when you checked your time? I ran a 13.5 at 102mph da was 4,000ft though so it came down to around 12.9 at 107mph.. ofcourse i ahve a brenspeed 93 tune and the deleteplates/udps..
nope, those are uncorrected 1/4 mile times... what does the DA mean?

going back this sunday, big memorial day weekend. Gonna try for 13.2s all day this time with 2.0 60 fts.

(-:
Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steves07GTCS
... Everything at this point is just to hold me over until I can afford the Whipple.

Steve

Ditto, that's pretty much how I feel as well. I even thought about just keeping it really really simple, say, CAI, gears, cut outs and a torque converter. It may not be the fastest car on the streets but it's still fast(er) lol..

plus a low 13 second car really isn't all that 'slow' either .

(-;
Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
nope, those are uncorrected 1/4 mile times... what does the DA mean?

going back this sunday, big memorial day weekend. Gonna try for 13.2s all day this time with 2.0 60 fts.

(-:
DA is density altitude. It factors elevation, humidity, dew point and temp. The higher the DA, the slower your car, so a 13.5 is about a 12.9.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Gentlemen (and ladies) I gotta say this is my favorite thread so far. Our looking objectively at more affordable real world mods and debating those is quite refeshing.

Steve07GTCS, that graph looks great to me, I think you've done a helluva job with her, congrats! Thanks for posting that.

FWIW: from what I hear the s197 exhaust is top notch and the one of its bigger restrictions is coming from the cats. The exhaust piping leading into the cats is crimped, and so makes high-flow cats a great upgrade.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

I think you might have been happier with a long tube header setup instead of a shorty. I have heard from a few shops that shorties barely do anything. I Got 310hp/325tq with SLP Longtubes, SLP catted xpipe, Evolution tune, JLT2 CAI, and SLP loudmouths. I havent dyno'd the car since i got the cats taken off and put on the steeda CMCV deletes. \
So the numbers sound about right, good job!
My .02
Old 05-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Touring
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I'm also going to skip the pulleys and the plates. Not unless I get some screaming deal on them.

If all you got out of the headers was a tiny boost in power they clearly wouldn't be worth it to me. But the change in sound kinda makes up for that IMO.

Driveshaft is another one of those rather questionable items. Pretty spendy, not exactly a huge gain in whp.

delete plates are good with blown applications. header #'s are usallu in the 15-20rwhp range. i think they are worth it. in the end i say go with a blower and then mod instead of doing it the other way around

In the end a custom tune on a dyno is key

Quick Reply: 300RWHP- Mission Accomplished, Much Learned