Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine mods for more boost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Engine mods for more boost?

Next Spring in Automotive tech school, one of our projects will be to both remove the engine and tranny, disassemble everything, check for anything wrong, and then put it all back together.

Weeelllll, since we will be doing that I want to beef up the internals of the engine and tranny.

Nothing too crazy for the tranny. Maybe a stronger input shaft and 3rd gear (??)

as for the motor, what should I consider?

Since the install will pretty much be on me and my instructer (25 years+ as a Ford Mechanic)
money for install or hours under the hood isn't an issue.

Thinking of putting some money into some serious engine mods for boost down the line...

550 to the wheels sounds about right- for now!

(-:
Old 06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

(O_o)?!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Forged pistons, a good set of connecting rods, If I'm not mistaken the crank shaft in the 3v can take some good beatings.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

thanks, I was thinking along the same lines as well. Never built up a motor before, nor take one a part for that matter. I figure, since it's all on the table anyways.. might as well sneak in some extra parts lol..
Old 06-10-2009, 05:24 PM
p.r gt

if i was you i"ll put a stroker in298
Old 06-12-2009, 03:25 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...ort_Block.html

you think the instructor would notice if I tried to pass this one off as the 'stock' motor when putting things back together?? lol...

or this one??

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...ort_Block.html
Old 06-12-2009, 04:03 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by 2007VistaBlueGT
Forged pistons, a good set of connecting rods, If I'm not mistaken the crank shaft in the 3v can take some good beatings.
Yup all you need is a good forged rotating assembly (rods and pistons).....the crankshaft has held up no problem from what my tuner says to over 600+ RWHP and would save you some cash. If you plan on going higher then that then you should replace the crankshaft with a forged one as well...

Last edited by mygt500; 06-12-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

thanks for the info, I will seriously have to do some more reading on the subject.

It would be such a missed oppritunity to have everything all laid out for me to upgrade the motor when I have a chance like this. 600+whp with those parts sounds good to me!

I also looked on the level 10 site and not sure if I am correct, but the stage 3 kit (not the tranny) is only like $1000 for a complete tranny upgrade.

Both of these plus a TS blower should net some real nice numbers...
Old 06-13-2009, 02:26 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

with upgraded internals, will I feel any gains at all without the supercharger?

I will have the built motor/tranny before anything else, supercharger is still coming in later later. This is all happening during the LONG winter up here so I really don't need all the power anyways..
Old 06-13-2009, 04:47 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
with upgraded internals, will I feel any gains at all without the supercharger?

I will have the built motor/tranny before anything else, supercharger is still coming in later later. This is all happening during the LONG winter up here so I really don't need all the power anyways..

To be honest with you.....you wont.....actually your adding weight with forging. Keep the stock aluminum block and that will help as some get a iron block when forging and stroking. But any power adder you add the motor will be equipped to handle it and many of us are not forged are living on borrowed time and will decrease the life of the motor

Quick Reply: Engine mods for more boost?