Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

kenne bell /adding meth/water inj

Old 06-23-2009, 02:59 PM
tooslow
1st Gear Member

Default kenne bell /adding meth/water inj

im thinking about adding a snow inj kit on my 06 mustang (intercooled)should i or not , im worried about corrosion ????? im running 10psi now and are going to go up to 12 psi / thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

I hang out with the local subaru groups and meth/water injection kits are very popular with their cars. We get real ****ty gas around here so using an injection kit helps keep everybody from getting real bad knock. There are several people over on MM that are using them with KBs, Prochargers, and vortechs. The only problem with using an injection kit is if you set up your cars tune to always spray when at WOT and then you either forget to turn on the system or run out of meth/water you will get serious amounts of detonation that could lead to engine failure. I have never heard of corrosion problems on anyones car running proper water to methanol ratios. If you do decide to do it check out "Devils Own" at alcohol-injection.com the guy that runs it knows his stuff and is real great to work with. Now if only I could get a straight answer on if I can use a meth/water kit with my nitrous.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

My understanding is that water/meth injection can be a big benefit to centri or turbo charged cars. With positive displacement blowers like the KB the benefits are much less because of the position of the blower after the throttle body. As for corrosion, I've read that KB has stated that water/meth in 50/50 proportions will not effect the screws. I've been considering the Snow system with the thought that I will do a 91 octane tune with the injection system off, then turn it on after the tune. That way I will not mess with advancing the timing and gain some advantage with the octane boost and possibly lower IAT's; and will avoid detonation if I run out of fluid or the system fails. Just my .02
Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

my buddy has the AEM water/meth injection kit on his Eaton blown S2000. he's just running water and it drops the air temps dramatically. you add the meth to allow you to add timing but you really need a standalone ECU to add the timing when the system is on and take away timing when it's off. I don't think the stock ECU will let you do that so you'd be best off just running water only to cool the charge and not messing with the meth.

the AEM setup is pretty sick, comes with a pressure controller so you can have the water injection be variable according to the boost.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory...CategoryID=120
Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 PM
tooslow
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the replys ,im surprised even k.b says its ok to use one
Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooslow
thanks for all the replys ,im surprised even k.b says its ok to use one
in the end that's who I would listen to with all the R&D they do when they give an answer to a question like that it's usually based on facts and not opinions.