Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Emissions question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:36 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Emissions question..

how are you guys with Cams, long tube headers, off road x/h pipes passing emissions??

If it were up to me, I'd get all of the above but I am concerned about IM tests and so forth...

IMO a full bolt on car ( above mods + CMDP, UDPs, CAI) would make a pretty nasty daily driver..

not due for IM til 2010, thinking of just getting these mods done and worrying about the consequences later on lol.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Where are you located? I don't recall "Die Hard" being the 51st state

Emissions laws vary from state to state. I know here in California, the O/R stuff won't pass...at least reliably. I've limited my exhaust mods to axle back for the same reason. JBA does make a 50 state legal shorty header, but the long tubes will fail the visual inspection without the proper hookups. The pre cats need to be in place as well. My coworker failed the sniff test with the aftermarket x-pipe + cats. So the stock stuff had to go back on. Some say it should pass. So I guess it's hit and miss?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:30 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I don't have to worry about emission right now. If I ever do I hope it's a long time away.

But in any case, I got the high flow cat option with my Kooks headers just in case. In CA it might be more trouble, but around here it's not so bad. Having a state full of rednecks pays off sometimes.

I heard in the state of Die Hard you can run open headers all you want. It's hardcore over there. People drive dragsters to work every day!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Vert09
1st Gear Member

It definately matters what state you are in since the state laws vary, and secondly what county your in since local laws also vary. For instance in my county its a visual and gas cap check, just 2 counties south of me its obd and treadmill. It seems the more populated the stricter the code.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yep, the counties in Tx around the major cities have OBDII tests (other checks for old cars that don't have OBDII). The other counties are just your basic safety inspection. Lights, horn, gas cap, brakes and stuff like that.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol I live in Alaska, they are talking about doing away with the IM tests but I haven't heard about it since. My car is new, so it's all good til 2010.. I think. I still have the new car IM sticker on it.

The damned shorty headers are taking soooooo long to get shipped to me (drop shipped from JBA) I was thinking, I might as well just cancel and order some JBA or Kooks long tubes with a catted mid pipe. It feels like I am wasting my time waiting and waiting, then just to be disappointed with a measly 2-3 hp if that. I'd be happy if they were here weeks ago, installed.. the waiting sucks, because I know I'll be expecting way to much from this mod.. only to 'blahhhhh'.

I have some traveling in the future in vancouver canada and the pacific northwest, the IMs there got me worried...

(O_o)?!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:43 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

Remotely related.... someone told me that here in NC you can pass with excessive window tint if you just put your windows down and then take out the fuse for the windows. They don't check for window "operation."

I took mine with a JLT and Brenspeed 93 octane tune and passed the OBDII with no problem.