Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Problem with 5th gear.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Hokie

Default Problem with 5th gear.....

Hey guys,

I've got an 06 GT automatic with about 46k miles on it.... no mods. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that it started driving a little weird whenever it was in 5th gear. Usually when I'm coasting along in 5th and give it a little gas... the car accelerates no problem and has a nice solid deep exhaust note to it. Well now when I'm accelerating and reach the 50+ mph range in 5th it almost sounds (and feels) like it's slipped back down into 4th. Overdrive is still on.... and I'm pretty sure I'm not accelerating hard enough to force it down to 4th (I usually have to almost floor it to do that). So I'm pretty sure that it's still in 5th when this happens.

Unfortunately this week the problem has been getting even worse. Now the gas pedal (heck the whole car) starts to vibrate pretty badly when I hit that 50+ mph range in 5th. I swear it just feels like the car wants to shift to a higher gear, but it can't. I'm not sure what the deal is.

By the way, my knowledge on cars is pretty limited... so I hope my explanation was good enough to help give you guys an idea of what's going on. Any ideas?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Take the overdrive off and see how it reacts in 4th. If it drives normal then you do have a trany problem most likely being the bands are worn out. If so have it rebuilt asap before you burn out more parts.