Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

5spd auto problems HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:15 PM
lundis
1st Gear Member

Default 5spd auto problems HELP

ok, first problem started awhile ago, when coasting (decelerating due to 4.10 gears), it would slam into its downshift gear. dont know which one.

had the 30k flush and fill done, and now it does not do that anymore, it sometimes "slips"... meaning if im decelerating and then punch it, or sometimes (rarely) from a stop, it will rev up, and then slam into gear. not LOUDLY but enough that the tires spin.

maybe the tech used the wrong fluid? not enough? i saw him do it, and it looked like it all went in...

i took it to ford under warranty and removed the aftermarket intake and tune, problem is it threw an ABS code and was about 20mph off due to the gears, and threw codes from the 02 sensors because of my LT headers w/ hi-flo cats...ford wont pay to have the dealer tear apart the tranny until these codes can go away, and i cant make them go away without installing things that will obviously void the warranty. so im abandoning that idea.

help, im freakin BROKE i cant afford to pay thousands of bucks for a new tranny!!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Who's tune are you using?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

I'd be shocked if you're using a different tune than the company I'm thinking of...BTW is it throwing any codes or are you getting any lights coming on?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:23 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

my 93 rx-7 had the same problem described. it was 10 years ago exactly when I had the problem. turned out to be the torque converter, low transmission fluid and something else internally. Costed me about $1,500 to fix. That's not bad considering the TC was included.

Yours could be a simple tune problem though..
Old 08-15-2009, 06:44 PM
lundis
1st Gear Member

bamachips tune... think i should get it dynotuned?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I would have the Tuner review your custom tunes

the shifting on these trannies is 100% computer controlled. Sounds like the profile needs some work
Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 AM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lundis
bamachips tune... think i should get it dynotuned?
Well, I am not surprised. At the very least switch to a new tune...Brentspeed is good but there are a number of good options out there. Hopefully your trans isn't too far gone. If you have another car you can use, order another tune and don't drive your Mustang again until you get that tune on there.

It's funny, I was thinking about making a thread about these problems (transmissions failing with Bamachips tunes) when I saw your post. I'm not one to go on the internet and bash companies, I just want people to be well informed about the tunes they're buying. I've found it interesting that EVERY car I've read about on various forums having these problems with the 5R55S, which inevitably lead to rebuilds, are using Bamachips tunes. It stops being just a coincidence after a while.

Anyway, change that tune and take the car to a reputable shop and have them drop the pan on the transmission, then you'll have a better idea about what kind of shape it's in. Are you getting any trouble codes or lights coming on?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:32 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleep Deprived
Well, I am not surprised. At the very least switch to a new tune...Brentspeed is good but there are a number of good options out there. Hopefully your trans isn't too far gone. If you have another car you can use, order another tune and don't drive your Mustang again until you get that tune on there.

It's funny, I was thinking about making a thread about these problems (transmissions failing with Bamachips tunes) when I saw your post. I'm not one to go on the internet and bash companies, I just want people to be well informed about the tunes they're buying. I've found it interesting that EVERY car I've read about on various forums having these problems with the 5R55S, which inevitably lead to rebuilds, are using Bamachips tunes. It stops being just a coincidence after a while.

Anyway, change that tune and take the car to a reputable shop and have them drop the pan on the transmission, then you'll have a better idea about what kind of shape it's in. Are you getting any trouble codes or lights coming on?

is it because it shifts very aggressive??? The bama race tune blows away the Brenspeed tune IMO. The brenspeed launches hard, but I can rip off the line like a **** with the bama tune..

]-:
Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I have seen several 4.6 threads about this issue as well. I read on one of them that Dougs shift pressures are just set to high. I'm not throwing as much horsepower into the 5R55S as you guys are, but still after reading these threads, I reduced all my shift pressures by 25%.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
lundis
1st Gear Member

no codes thrown, but ill have my regular tech pull the pan off and inspect it, then have it dyno tuned. thanks guys!

Quick Reply: 5spd auto problems HELP