Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

5spd auto problems HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Stealth GT, I'm thinking it has to do with the shift pressure. I know that Greg @ RET and Tony @ Larry's Transmissions, two well respected guys in the industry, did not have good things to say about my Bama tune. I also agree that the Bama tune is superior to the Brentspeed tunes for autos, but not if it's trashing his transmission. You only have so long with these "slips" and harsh shifts before the transmission goes. And knowing Bama of late, if he want's to get his tune altered, he won't have it anytime soon.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

First of all it's Brenspeed. If your shift pressure is set so high it ruined your trans,call Bama and see if they warranty there work.If they gave you a crap tune that blew your trans hold them responsible. A person who knows how to tune a car (Brent)would never put your car at that risk.Im running a Brenspeed tune with a TCI 3000 stall for 5 years and my trans is as good as the day I bought the car.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Yup, Brenspeed, that's what I meant to type lol...anyway, bad tune or not people aren't going to get anywhere trying to hold Bama responsible for their transmission problems. With a good tune (like yours), we shouldn't have to worry about transmission problems for a long time. I'm sure Doug knows what he's doing, he's a great tuner, but he has other guys working for him sending out tunes. If I'm paying money for a tune by Doug, I want to know he's the one doing the tune.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleep Deprived
... You only have so long with these "slips" and harsh shifts before the transmission goes. And knowing Bama of late, if he want's to get his tune altered, he won't have it anytime soon.

hell that's pretty interesting you pointed that out... I asked if it would be better to have softer shifts when I get the supercharger in order to save the tranny from heat or abuse, but he said that it's better to have the tranny shift as fast as possible rather then softly...

Took me a month to get my last tune as well. it's slower then the previous tune even.

weird.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

hard quick shifts do lengthen the life of the tranny

soft long shifts kill tranny life

but there is a point where hard shifts do more harm than good. A tuner has to balance this. I don't have Bamachips tunes, so can't tell you from experience...but if people are experiencing failures...may need to back off the pressures a tiny bit
Old 08-17-2009, 12:34 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

... a few good runs in and the tranny gets HOT. I can feel it touching the side console of the tranny, as well as my leg resting no the side of it.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:56 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

weird, I bought a used predator from a local guy who bought a vortec, and I got it Cheap!
so Brent's tune was out of the question. (since he only does sct)
the cookie cutter Diablo tune shifted as hard as the tune I got from Doug, I have been tuned for 70,000 miles now, so far so good. Knocks on wood,
I did put some synthetic ATF in about 22000 miles ago...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 PM
03fridge

I don't have a tune on my car, but my auto trans started doing the same thing after the 30,000 mile fluid change. Dealer couldn't reproduce the problem and told me to continue to drive it, but after I had the 60,000 mile change done, the slipping became much worse. Dealer checked and trans fluid was a quart and a half low and the sync pack in the transmission had burned out. Luckily I had an extended warranty so cost to me was $0, but the cost to warranty was $1200.