Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Should I get a trackpack installed after I already got my mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
ichiro51

Default Should I get a trackpack installed after I already got my mustang?

Something I've been thinking about....
I want to improve performance but don't want to mess with my warranty yet.
When I got my 2010, I wanted the trackpack, but lost that option when I went auto (my wife needs to be able to drive it in emergencies).

My plan is to go to my local ford and have them install the components of the GT TrackPack I

GT Track Package I (manual only)
Performance front brake pads
3.73 axle ratio
Recalibrated AdvanceTrac®

OR, I could have them do package II, but I already have the 19" tires -- I got them as an option. So I would do everything below but not the tires (since I already got em).

GT Track Package II (manual only, late availability)
Performance front/rear brake pads
GT500 Sta-Bars and rear lower control arms
Retuned struts and shocks
19-inch Pirelli Summer tires
3.73 axle ratio with carbon plates in the differential
Recalibrated AdvanceTrac®, traction control and anti-lock brakes

Opinions much appreciated!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

In regards to Track Package II, No offense intended, but even in stock form the car probably exceeds your driving ability on a race track. What are your reasons for investing this money? How will it benefit you other than bragging rights? If you go to Laguna Seca, or another race track, on a regular basis then hey, go for it. I'm trying to save you money here

As for Track Package I you'll get better acceleration and braking. This seems to have better ROI. 3.73 isn't too steep for an auto? What will you revs been like when cruising on the freeway?

Last edited by Adam; 08-17-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM
ichiro51

Originally Posted by AJ_68
In regards to Track Package II, No offense intended, but even in stock form the car probably exceeds your driving ability on a race track. What are your reasons for investing this money? How will it benefit you other than bragging rights? If you go to Laguna Seca, or another race track, on a regular basis then hey, go for it. I'm trying to save you money here

As for Track Package I you'll get better acceleration and braking. This seems to have better ROI. 3.73 isn't too steep for an auto? What will you revs been like when cruising on the freeway?
Thanks for the comments!
I don't disagree with you -- one of the reasons I love the V8 is because it a lot of car to handle -- and I love trying to find it's limits. But I'm an everyday driver too, not a racer. I'm pretty sold on the 3.73's -- I just don't know about the brake and suspension stuff. I guess if it made the car more responsive, I'd pay for it. I already have the 19" tires so I'd try to get out of paying the full price for trackpack II.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

373 isnt too steep for a slushbox.

and because these cars handle like a minivan on the stock suspension. if the track package catches your eye, go for it. i would also look into putting together your own suspension. ie frpp, steeda, bmr parts.....

an M5, GTR, or S7 exceeds our ability on a track, a stock mustang maybe exceeds a 18 year olds ability.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StickShifty
an M5, GTR, or S7 exceeds our ability on a track, a stock mustang maybe exceeds a 18 year olds ability.
I disagree. Investing $1500 in a performance driving school will yield you faster track times than $1500 in suspension parts. There are tons of reputable places - Bondurant Racing School, BMW Performance Driving School, Ron Fellows Performance Driving School, etc. You'd be surprised just how much more you can get out of your car when you know what you're doing. Doing burnouts and fish tailing around corners does not mean you are an efficient, and fast, driver
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
mcassoni

My 2010 has the 3.73 gear package. But I did order today the shock tower brace from the track pack for $120
Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 PM
ichiro51

Originally Posted by mcassoni
My 2010 has the 3.73 gear package. But I did order today the shock tower brace from the track pack for $120
Good to know.... where'd you order it from, and are you going to get it installed by a 3rd party or Ford?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
mcassoni

I got it from my Ford dealer. They give 10% off any parts if you bought the car there. It's a very easy instalation, so I am doing it myself
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcassoni
That's funny, I just called a few local dealers to buy the tower brace as well. The cheapest quote was $130 - 10%. You can usually get 10% off just by having a AAA membership.

To save OP hassle, the part number is AR3Z16A200A.

Last edited by Adam; 08-17-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:37 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

That's funny, I just called a few local dealers to buy the tower brace as well. The cheapest quote was $130 - 10%. You can usually get 10% off just by having a AAA membership.

To save OP hassle, the part number is AR3Z16A200A.
OP has 19's so he already has the STB.

Quick Reply: Should I get a trackpack installed after I already got my mustang?