Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

paxton/vortech tuner kit install??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

^^ I'll still get the kit to get more boost out of the system. I don't think it'll matter because the air up here is nowhere near as dense or humid as it is in the lower states, especially how hot it gets in the south. I say it's more of an insurance policy against any damaging effects that may arise from possible heat soak.

Or I might get cams and keep it at low boost, while gaining a nice gain from those.

PS
I seen your vids on Youtube.. any new ones coming out with you launching??

Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

high IATs = less power
inter-cooler = lower IATs
hence by the transitive property inter-cooler = more powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

the non cooled kits make less boost and less power. pretty simple really, compressing the air generates heat, more heat less power. the HO kits will generally make 40-50 more HP, IMHO no matter what temps the region sees, its worth it.

as to traction, that goes to the tire and suspension set up - do it right and the car will hook
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Noice...

I can't wait to get the kit, it's gonna be a totally different car and it's still only the basse kit. I can only imagine how it's gonna be like with the HO kit plus other bolt ons...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
^^ I'll still get the kit to get more boost out of the system. I don't think it'll matter because the air up here is nowhere near as dense or humid as it is in the lower states, especially how hot it gets in the south. I say it's more of an insurance policy against any damaging effects that may arise from possible heat soak.

Or I might get cams and keep it at low boost, while gaining a nice gain from those.

PS
I seen your vids on Youtube.. any new ones coming out with you launching??

Nah, I've never launched the car actually. I pretty much drive it like a grandma frankly. I think I've probably gone WOT in it like 2-3x in the past 6 months, lol. I guess I'm just getting older or something. The car is very quick, there is no question about that. This is the last one I'm going to modify to any great extent. Next time I'll just buy a faster and more expensive car to begin with.

You'll be happy with either the standard or the HO kit IMO. Unless you are going WOT like 6x in a row, I don't think you'll encounter heat soak much. The HO kit will average 40-50rwhp more across the range as compared to the standard kit. Worth it? That is your call. The standard kit is ~92% of the horsepower for for ~74% of the price of the HO kit.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Nah, I've never launched the car actually. I pretty much drive it like a grandma frankly. I think I've probably gone WOT in it like 2-3x in the past 6 months, lol. I guess I'm just getting older or something. The car is very quick, there is no question about that. This is the last one I'm going to modify to any great extent. Next time I'll just buy a faster and more expensive car to begin with.

You'll be happy with either the standard or the HO kit IMO. Unless you are going WOT like 6x in a row, I don't think you'll encounter heat soak much. The HO kit will average 40-50rwhp more across the range as compared to the standard kit. Worth it? That is your call. The standard kit is ~92% of the horsepower for for ~74% of the price of the HO kit.

same here. When I first got 4.10s I acted lke I gained 50whp and was launching at every chance I could get lol. Now I putt around town like I am driving a geo metro. I'll no doubt be happy with the new found power, but I'll also understand that it's no longer a 260whp car- and it really does deserve alot of respect and driven like so. Not sure exactly how far I am gonna take the power levels, especially with a stock motor and auto trans, but I don't think I am gonna go too crazy with her. Basic bolts ons are pretty much it afterwards to enhance enjoyment/drivability and traction.

.. oh, and of course a GT500 front conversion with stock hood.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah I think the next mods for mine will be a CDC shaker and the Foose hood to match. Neither is really functional, but it'll look cool.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

3 pulls thru the gears 1-4 will heat soak a intercooled kit, believe me I've been there.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah maybe if you are planning to drag race the HO will be worth it up there. I know that when I first got mine, I would nail it several times in a row and never really noticed any major loss in power even though I could see the IAT rising on the AeroForce gauge. When it was 105 degrees here this past summer, it was clearly pulling timing when the IAT would hit 150+, but I also was not driving it aggressively in those conditions, so it didn't affect me much. It all depends on how you drive, and your expectations.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

it barely even reaches as high as 75 up here during the summer.. 85 is the considered "scorching hot" by Ak standards lol.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
it barely even reaches as high as 75 up here during the summer.. 85 is the considered "scorching hot" by Ak standards lol.
Yeah man, I seriously think you'll be fine with the standard kit. My car runs GREAT at those temps. If you like to hammer it repeatedly, then the HO kit would buy you an extra few hammerings and an extra few horses after its heated up. The HO is certainly not a BAD idea, but if you're looking to save some bucks, I think you can very much get away with not having it. Much more so than me, it hits 100 here in Dallas in the summer all the time. My solution is I just barely drive the thing in the summer.

Quick Reply: paxton/vortech tuner kit install??