Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Finally Finally purhased the Whipple Big Boost upgrade kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Default Finally Finally purhased the Whipple Big Boost upgrade kit

Now I'm not doing the install due to health concerns. I will be trusting the install to an old school speedshop the owner is a crusty guy but he knows his stuff.He has hired a new school guy with a Ford scanner and seems to know the new breed of Ford. Now questions: How long should this install take? Can I Dyno it right after installation. And is there good coolants out there that out outperform others. Can People give there choices Please.Is there any thing really drasticly hard to do that isn't in the instructions. And I have heard of leaks in the undercooler... anything that I should could look for. This would be appreciated. Or is there an install thred out theer. Thx. Daryl
Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey Darylo6, sorry you won't be doing it
yourself but i'm sure the speedshop owner
will do a fine job. if you are worried about
the intercooler it can be tested with air
pressure before installing. i think you can
dyno it right after if you are sure the
intercooler is working properly.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Wow do I need spell check. Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered a 8lb and a 10lb pulley and 2 new tunes from Brenspeed. They were the ones that finally found the right combo of A/F ratios for my non cooled kit.Probably take a cruise down into Washington when the weather changes and get a decent Dynotune.This is a big step so you guys will probably be hearing back from me. Thx.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

The install shouldn't take a shop more than a few hours, and you will be more than happy with the result.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

I purchased my kit thru Lethal and they said this(tune/tuner) was an option that would cost extra. They deal with Whipple witch is where the kit was sent from. And Whipple said I would have to send them my PCM for recalibration. I don't like that idea. I've had a Ford Racing tune before and the throttle tip in was terrible as was how rich the tune was.It was a dog with under 300 rwhp When I sent them dynographs they said it was my car that was screwed.Brenspeed has been the only people that have been able to find a decent set up. I have had numerous tunes in this thing including the two "dynotuners" in town.People always said that something was wrong with my car including Ford Racing. And yet as soon as I loaded a Brenspeed tune the throttle tip in response and shifting pressure were all excellent. It took a couple of revisions for daily driving conditions.RWHP went up 47. And the A/F line was flat. Sounds like a plug for Brenspeed but so be it. lol So I will use them again for my tunes. And ya Bruce that sounds like the place that would be a nice cruise to. And those numbers are a good incentive. lol What about coolants any tips? Thx.

Last edited by Daryl06; 02-12-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daryl06
I purchased my kit thru Lethal and they said this(tune/tuner) was an option that would cost extra. They deal with Whipple witch is where the kit was sent from. And Whipple said I would have to send them my PCM for recalibration. I don't like that idea. I've had a Ford Racing tune before and the throttle tip in was terrible as was how rich the tune was.It was a dog with under 300 rwhp When I sent them dynographs they said it was my car that was screwed.Brenspeed has been the only people that have been able to find a decent set up. I have had numerous tunes in this thing including the two "dynotuners" in town.People always said that something was wrong with my car including Ford Racing. And yet as soon as I loaded a Brenspeed tune the throttle tip in response and shifting pressure were all excellent. It took a couple of revisions for daily driving conditions.RWHP went up 47. And the A/F line was flat. Sounds like a plug for Brenspeed but so be it. lol So I will use them again for my tunes. And ya Bruce that sounds like the place that would be a nice cruise to. And those numbers are a good incentive. lol What about coolants any tips? Thx.
Being that you're in Canada, I'd run the recommended 60/40 with two bottles of water wetter. I like Prestone gold, but it NEVER freezes where I live so I use straight distilled water and two bottles of water wetter.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Well I can change my sig finally. lol 402RWHP (Dynojet) on my automatic with a Brenspeed custom e-mail tune.I kept it to 8lb because of being my daily driver. And I didn't notice any difference in drive ability. Just getting a couple of revisions and then hopefully get it back on the dyno for a decent graph.

Quick Reply: Finally Finally purhased the Whipple Big Boost upgrade kit