Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2010 headers - Second time around

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Update...

I've had the new headers on the car for several weeks now. Last weekend I wen't back to recheck the torque on all the bolts and found that they were ALL significantly loosened up, despite the fact that I used a torque wrench on the install and loctite. I'll probably check them again next oil change just to be safe.

Also, around town the car is still fairly quiet on the inside with the windows up. But outside the car it is pretty loud, even with stock mufflers. I wouldn't consider headers like these if you're trying to stay low key or quiet. I can't imagine how loud catless with straight through mufflers would be. I park in an indoor parking garage at work and when I start the car in there after it has sat for a while it is loud. I have set off more than a few car alarms and received many dissapproving and dirty looks for this... but I love it.

One thing that I find a little irritating is that at highway speeds the car has become a little loud and the sound is not very pleasing. Around town no problem, but on the highway it is a little grating. I am sure this is from a combination of the increased sound from the headers and my aluminum driveshaft which seems to amplify the exhaust sound in the car. The driveshaft sounded great when on the stock midpipe and shorties, but with the longtubes it is a little bit much.

There's no way I would get rid of the longtubes though. The low end and mid range punch I got when I put them on is amazing. Even with larger, summer tires I consistently break the rear tires loose when I punch it in first gear. Wheelspin and wheel hop are much more of a problem now.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

Good write up, I have some big plans for my car and want to stay naturally aspirated, however I don't want to be obnoxiously loud, which puts me at a limited spot haha. How would these be with the stock h pipe?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

When installing headers don't you have to reprogram your ecu with a custom tune...
Old 02-26-2010, 04:07 AM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swat 79
Good write up, I have some big plans for my car and want to stay naturally aspirated, however I don't want to be obnoxiously loud, which puts me at a limited spot haha. How would these be with the stock h pipe?
Long tubes (by definition) are longer than the stock exhaust manifolds which means you have to change the mid pipe. I imagine the mid pipe account for most of the sound difference anyways. If you run a catted mid pipe it shouldn't be too loud.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:34 AM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

Ok awesome man thanks. I'm a couple of months away (haven't been able to work lately) but its good to know whats what.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
When installing headers don't you have to reprogram your ecu with a custom tune...
I have a Bamachips tune and when I got it I asked about the headers. I was told that a retune would not be necessary. No matter whether you're running the stock manifolds or headers, the tune keeps the air fuel ratio and timing within a certain pre-set range. If the new headers allow you to draw out exhaust faster, any good tune will compensate for that in the intake charge. A tune is necessary for any long tube header since the rear o2 sensors are placed farther back, you'll throw check engine light codes unless these o2 sensors are turned off in the tune. Bama told me that all of his tunes have the rear sensors turned off. No custom dyno tune necessary.