Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cams are going in tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

Default Cams are going in tomorrow!

So I am heading over to Tillman speed tonight to pick up my ford racing HOT ROD cams that I ordered last week. Chris handled everything and was super nice about answering all my questions once again. He also suggested to also do an intake and steeda delete plugs which I will be doing at the same time. I am really looking forward to getting this all done. I will be doing the install tomorrow. I will be sure to post up videos soon after.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Chris quoted me $70 for the delete plugs, is that right? How much for the cams, and how hard will they be to install?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

yeah I think thats what he told me. I have never done cams in the 4.6 before so we shall see. There are plenty of threads out there from people who have done them. A quick search for hot rod cams should get you plenty of info.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

You're not concerned about warranty issues, I guess?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:56 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

How much power are you hoping to gain after the install? Do you have to adjust your tune for the cams and intake?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Not to answer for him, but the cams advertise 30 - 50 hp, depending on other modifications.

I just pulled the trigger on the steeda delete plates. They only give about 4 hp, but are supposed to make the entire powerband smoother when combined with a Tillman tune.

My only hesitation was the warranty/dealer issues: If in for warranty work, I would either have to make 100% sure the dealer doesn't reflash my ECM, or take the hour to pull the delete plates back out and return the ECM to stock. Might end up being a PITA.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:10 PM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
How much power are you hoping to gain after the install? Do you have to adjust your tune for the cams and intake?
I would be happy with 20-30whp. Yeah chris at tillman will be writing another tune for me.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Branman, let us know if you have any air leak problems with the delete plugs. I know that you have to be careful not to put the plugs in backwards, or they'll get sucked into the head.

However, I'm also reading about some additional holes that this process creates for which Steeda doesn't send plugs:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...t=26549&page=2

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthrea...t=delete+plugs

These may be 'user error' problems, or maybe design flaws that were since fixed. I called Steeda, and the guy didn't seem to have any knowledge of the additional holes - though he did mention using just a slight dab of sealant on the plugs themselves. I wouldn't want to do that, though, as I want to be able to (relatively) quickly put the car back to stock.

Tillman's line was busy, or I would ask Chris . . .
Old 04-01-2010, 03:58 PM
2010Knight_Ryder

I'll be installing my cams and headers on Saturday! Can't wait!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 PM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010Knight_Ryder
I'll be installing my cams and headers on Saturday! Can't wait!
Sweet man post some videos when your all done.

Quick Reply: Cams are going in tomorrow!