Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

auto/S197+ boost, beware...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:15 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marirockz

... I usually go off on the weekends only and take out my old car during the daytime, but now that is summer and is so sunny, I like to show off my pretty mustang...
PM sent, if you want to show something else off...

*wink*

*wink*

Old 05-10-2010, 07:56 AM
marirockz

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
PM sent, if you want to show something else off...

*wink*

*wink*

ewww.. no thanks.. L

Jk.. and still nah..
Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

OK, so you were running a "Safe" tune, which translates into a very rich A/F ratio to protect with detonation. A problem on FI cars running such a rich A/F ration occurs when you run cats. The rich fuel gets into the cats, causes a meltdown of the cat, clogs, and then the motor blows. Have you checked your cats?

This would not be the first FI motor lost due to a clogged cat.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by liberty911
OK, so you were running a "Safe" tune, which translates into a very rich A/F ratio to protect with detonation. A problem on FI cars running such a rich A/F ration occurs when you run cats. The rich fuel gets into the cats, causes a meltdown of the cat, clogs, and then the motor blows. Have you checked your cats?

This would not be the first FI motor lost due to a clogged cat.
I have not checked yet, but I definetly will..

thanks for the tip.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

I was only about 400whp/380-390lbs trq.

ONLY? lol this is one of those moments when I should be saying FFS. That is some good torque in my opinion man. Hope you get your car fixed well soon. I drove a dodge with I think 385 horse and I could tell it couldn't keep up with a stock GT. Actually the performance figures on the car I read up on state that it can't. 380-390ft*lb of torque would be much of a screamer man at this curb weight.

I've been turning off the TCS like people say on this forum lately in a manual and I spin the tires a lot, just gotta find the right RPM to be at before I take my foot off the clutch (and nah it isn't the clutch pushing my foot it doesn't feel heavy to me and I'm not that big of a guy either). But idk maybe sometimes I shouldn't listen to folks on the net because it launches just fine with TCS turned on and the tires hook up if I over do it instead of peeling out at every stop sign. I haven't put many miles on the car yet, rainy season was just too depressing and it just stopped raining. I'm still below 3000 miles on an 09.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amptor
ONLY? lol this is one of those moments when I should be saying FFS. That is some good torque in my opinion man. Hope you get your car fixed well soon.

Thanks and it is a lot of torque lol I was stating it in reference to how much power the stock block is capable of handing (480-490whp/lbs.) I love getting on it from a low roll or flooring it right about 35-40mph, it launches like a bat outta hell!

Just got my car back last Friday, in time for the weekend and got it to the track.

Honestly, it's more likely 380-385whp rather than 400...
Old 06-01-2010, 10:30 PM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default boost

Man Stealth,
I was planning on getting this setup but now you have me scared. I think I'll just save the money and buy a new filter for my C&L intake!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcstang
Man Stealth,
I was planning on getting this setup but now you have me scared. I think I'll just save the money and buy a new filter for my C&L intake!
lol don't be.. I was an idiot for trying to hold 4th (with the OD off) and top out the speedo. It was completely my fault. Usually, in "D", and in final gear its right around 3200/120mph MORE than enough gear. Its like that for a reason.. to save the motor from blowing. By that point, you'll be running nearly no boost. I was a jack *** for trying to push it to the limit.. it actually is a very safe blower, even without the intercooler, though be warned.. once it gets HOT, it WILL pull boost but that's okay, it's in order to save the motor. Buuuuuut you'll be left with near stock power levels.

Nothing a 15 minute cool down cannot fix. If you have anything above 3.73s, especially on the auto.. prepare to burn rubber, because you will have NO traction. Its a great "beginner" kit, but if you want something complete, I highly suggest either the Vortech H.O. or the Paxton 2200 WITH the intercooler. 480-490whp is plenty of power, COOLED power.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:46 AM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Default intercooled

lol don't be.. I was an idiot for trying to hold 4th (with the OD off) and top out the speedo. It was completely my fault. Usually, in "D", and in final gear its right around 3200/120mph MORE than enough gear. Its like that for a reason.. to save the motor from blowing. By that point, you'll be running nearly no boost. I was a jack *** for trying to push it to the limit.. it actually is a very safe blower, even without the intercooler, though be warned.. once it gets HOT, it WILL pull boost but that's okay, it's in order to save the motor. Buuuuuut you'll be left with near stock power levels.

Nothing a 15 minute cool down cannot fix. If you have anything above 3.73s, especially on the auto.. prepare to burn rubber, because you will have NO traction. Its a great "beginner" kit, but if you want something complete, I highly suggest either the Vortech H.O. or the Paxton 2200 WITH the intercooler. 480-490whp is plenty of power, COOLED power.
Two dealers told me that many people are confused and that intercooled supercharger does make more power but not one bit safer for the motor.
Also, I went with the 3.73's.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcstang
Two dealers told me that many people are confused and that intercooled supercharger does make more power but not one bit safer for the motor.
Also, I went with the 3.73's.
reletively speaking, adding 150-200whp is never truly "safe" for the motor, but I'd rather have cooled boost rather than running a hot air blower directly into the combustion chamber lol

its a great kit to start with IMO...

Quick Reply: auto/S197+ boost, beware...