Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Option 2.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 PM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

i say option 2. definitely get the supercharger.

and i wouldnt recommend the 3.73 with the s/c. it will already spin a lot with the 3.31, all the 3.73 will do is make it spin more. you get a little more acceleration, but remember, with 3.73 gears you shift to 2nd several mph before you would with 3.31 gears, so from say ~38-45 mph youll be faster with 3.31 gears because youd still be in first gear. then from ~65-75mph youd be faster with 3.31 because youd still be in 2nd. then from ~95-110mph youd be faster with 3.31 gears because youd still be in 3rd. get what im sayin? btw the numbers arent exact, just estimates.

and with virtually any supercharger on the market for the 4.6, the car is definitely streetable and fine for daily driving.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iceguyb14
i say option 2. definitely get the supercharger.

and i wouldnt recommend the 3.73 with the s/c. it will already spin a lot with the 3.31, all the 3.73 will do is make it spin more. you get a little more acceleration, but remember, with 3.73 gears you shift to 2nd several mph before you would with 3.31 gears, so from say ~38-45 mph youll be faster with 3.31 gears because youd still be in first gear. then from ~65-75mph youd be faster with 3.31 because youd still be in 2nd. then from ~95-110mph youd be faster with 3.31 gears because youd still be in 3rd. get what im sayin? btw the numbers arent exact, just estimates.

and with virtually any supercharger on the market for the 4.6, the car is definitely streetable and fine for daily driving.
I don't think 3.31's would be best for any supercharger unless you had an auto. If you can't control tire spin your not ready to bolt on more horsepower. Yes 3.31's would let you hold a gear longer and hit a higher top speed, but getting to that speed would take longer. But it all comes down to you..its your car, its your money, so do what best suites you. Just don't forget to let us know what you end up getting.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:50 PM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

I think I am going to go with my first option, and I would be completely happy with that, and I will continue to save more money for a supercharger so that I can get what I want. With my tune I am very happy, so I believe add option 1 would be the best for me right now. Thank you for everyones input. I will let you all know how everything goes.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rneely2111
I think I am going to go with my first option, and I would be completely happy with that, and I will continue to save more money for a supercharger so that I can get what I want. With my tune I am very happy, so I believe add option 1 would be the best for me right now. Thank you for everyones input. I will let you all know how everything goes.
Looks like you made your decision, however, keep in mind that adding a supercharger to the car with the wrong cams may cause you a problem down the road.
From what you listed, it looks like you are looking at the Brenspeed website. When I ordered my supercharger from them, I got a discount for paying with a money order as opposed to a credit card. Also, I saved the $289 for the polished kit to get gears. You can also save yourself the cost of the supercharger install by doing it yourself; it was not that hard. I had the same dilemma, and went with option 2. It was money well spent. If I had it too do over again, I would have added the shorty headers before I installed the supercharger. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, this is my daily driver. I want more power out of my car, but not so much it causes a head ache to drive daily.
I'm a big advocate if you can't do the work for a bolt on mod you shouldn't do the mod. What happens when the car falters or stops? You will have no idea.

Originally Posted by bustacrab
My buddy blew his aluminum drive shaft up launching, but luckily he had a safety loop on it so it didn't explode into the cabin. Failures can occur with either one, but aluminum would be more likely.
Agree on the safety loop, but I would bet the DS your friend added was a POS. You get what you pay for.

You know you can't use those cams with FI, right? If you want sound add quality LTs since they will work with a SC.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 PM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

It might be lighter and save you a little power, but aluminum is not as strong as steel so if you're going to the track and blowing your engine, it could be a problem. My buddy blew his aluminum drive shaft up launching, but luckily he had a safety loop on it so it didn't explode into the cabin. Get a safety loop if you get blown (whether you get the alum drive shaft or not). Failures can occur with either one, but aluminum would be more likely.
Originally Posted by liberty911
I'm a big advocate if you can't do the work for a bolt on mod you shouldn't do the mod. What happens when the car falters or stops? You will have no idea.

Agree on the safety loop, but I would bet the DS your friend added was a POS. You get what you pay for.

You know you can't use those cams with FI, right? If you want sound add quality LTs since they will work with a SC.
Agreed as well on the safety loop and that the driveshaft was obviously not the best quality. Look for what people drag with that are running high horsepower cars. Those will be strong enough to handle daily driving power, even with a supercharger.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

It might be lighter and save you a little power, but aluminum is not as strong as steel so if you're going to the track and blowing your engine, it could be a problem. My buddy blew his aluminum drive shaft up launching, but luckily he had a safety loop on it so it didn't explode into the cabin. Get a safety loop if you get blown (whether you get the alum drive shaft or not). Failures can occur with either one, but aluminum would be more likely.
The stock two piece steel driveshafts in s197's are weaker than an aftermarket aluminum shaft.

Option 1

Detroit Rocker Cams
JLT 110mm Intake
3.73 w/ master install kit
Dynotech Aluminum Drive Dhaft
Pypes Long Tube Headers w/ xpipe
Total: 3,354.04

Option 2
Vortech Supercharger 3, 899.00 + 289.00 Polished + Install

Which option should I take?
It really looks like you want to be supercharged. If you are thinking about it now you will eventually get it.

One option you could do is get supporting FI mods and bank the rest until you have enough for the supercharger you want.

For example: A Vortech is a centri. Centri's need lower gears to help get them into boost. Let's say you really research and decide a centri is the way to go. You will want 3.73's or 4.10's to go with it. The driveshaft and a loop are good ideas for anything making more than 500rwhp. You will also need control arms to control wheel hop.

You could do these things, build a solid foundation for FI, and be able to enjoy them while collecting the rest of the cash you need.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH

For example: A Vortech is a centri. Centri's need lower gears to help get them into boost. Let's say you really research and decide a centri is the way to go. You will want 3.73's or 4.10's to go with it. The driveshaft and a loop are good ideas for anything making more than 500rwhp. You will also need control arms to control wheel hop.

You could do these things, build a solid foundation for FI, and be able to enjoy them while collecting the rest of the cash you need.
Exactly!!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

The Vortech is a GREAT KIT and puts down what feels like a tremendous amount of whp for the price. I wasn't expecting all that much and kinda brushed off the "150 whp gain" it was advertised at.. but my first impression of the test drive after the install was "HOLY ****!" lol.. after I blew my motor I was like "HOLY ****!". Option 1 might feel faster because of everything combined, you might be able to even initially pull on an option 2 car if you were to meet one on the road, but after option 2 cars boosts kicks in, you'll be wondering where all your hp went. The Vortech is a great kit if you want a good amount of hp and upgrading to even more down the line... I like mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPXGaSF8PU

Last edited by stealth_GT; 05-12-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Which option?