Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Question for the N/a 3v gods

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Question for the N/a 3v gods

I recently saw that FRPP released a "Top End" power package for the 4.6L. Having seen quite a few posts about rods catching some sun and trannies breaking, I'm kind of leaning towards keeping the car naturally aspirated (I would like this car to last a long time). But I don't feel like speding $4000 outright, so I'm wondering if I just buy the intake manifold and the throttle body now (with current mods in sig) would I see an HP gain worth spending $1200 on. And then down the road, acquire the heads/cams and be done with the car. I am about 90% pleased with my car's current power level.

Anyone here done something similar? Is it hard to tune remotely? (updated email tunes)
Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

With your mods you'd see a much more significant gain from the heads/cams than you will from the intake/TB.

I honestly think you'll be disappointed with just the intake/TB with what your running now. Esp for 1200 bones.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Correct me if I am wrong but are'nt the heads about a grand by themselves and the cams 700?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Oh boy, here we go again with the NA argument. Get blown or leave it stock is my motto, but to each his own.

So, if I was NA I would opt for the cams first. Add the heads if the budget will allow for it. Later you can do intake and TB, as they will net less gains. To save some money on heads, if you have a reputable head shop in your area you could have them port and polish your heads instead of buying new heads.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

I really don't see anything in that package that would make me happy I spent $3700 vs. saving for F/I. If I was to cherry pick parts out of it, the cams are the only part I would be happy to spend the money on.....

The cams will provide some top end HP with minimal low end torque loss as well as give you a nice rumble.

TB is a well established waste for most N/A power levels.

The intake manifold may net you a few peak HP, but is likely to sacrifice some low end torque. Good for a track star, bad for a daily driver, IMO.

The heads are going to give you the same results as the manifold only to a greater degree. Especially if you also do the cams. I lost over 50ft-lbs in my normal driving range, and have less HP than I was hoping for with the setup in my sig. The car screams above ~3300rpm, but is sort of doggy below ~2500rpm. For perspective, at times were I would normally just give it a little more throttle to pass someone on the highway (stock), now requires either a downshift or mashing the pedal to the floor. Save the heads until you build the motor.

Although, the fact that they are including the heads for that price does make the package look pretty attractive if you have bigger build plans in mind. I could be wrong. Maybe all the pieces of the package really do compliment eachother, but for a daily driver, I don't think it's best route to take unless you are going to stroke the motor and/or raise the compression ratio.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
I really don't see anything in that package that would make me happy I spent $3700 vs. saving for F/I. If I was to cherry pick parts out of it, the cams are the only part I would be happy to spend the money on.....

The cams will provide some top end HP with minimal low end torque loss as well as give you a nice rumble.

The intake manifold may net you a few peak HP, but is likely to sacrifice some low end torque. Good for a track star, bad for a daily driver, IMO.

The heads are going to give you the same results as the manifold only to a greater degree. Especially if you also do the cams. I lost over 50ft-lbs in my normal driving range, and have less HP than I was hoping for with the setup in my sig. The car screams above ~3300rpm, but is sort of doggy below ~2500rpm. For perspective, at times were I would normally just give it a little more throttle to pass someone on the highway (stock), now requires either a downshift or mashing the pedal to the floor. Save the heads until you build the motor.

Although, the fact that they are including the heads for that price does make the package look pretty attractive if you have bigger build plans in mind. I could be wrong. Maybe all the pieces of the package really do compliment eachother, but for a daily driver, I don't think it's best route to take unless you are going to stroke the motor and/or raise the compression ratio.
Thanks for backing up my get blown or go home argument.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood

Very good feedback. Thank you.

I guess I'll have to keep being happy with what I got then.
It's just that the whole "up to 440hp" claim kinda got to me. It sure would be nice to have an "unbreakable" 440hp for a daily driver.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

You aren't going to run into any problems with a FI car that isn't crazy boosted. if Roush didn;t know for certian that the M90 woudl last withotu any issues, they woudln't put the 36/36 warranty on that kit. Roots blowers are typically what you find on all factory SC cars liek the termi (03-04 cobra) and the shelby gt500 is too I beleive. These cars are all relaible and will last assumign you maintain them. Don't think boost means your car is on borrowed time. And that roush m90 kit is $4300, not much more than the kit you mentioned from ford and you get 435hp and 400tq.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:58 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Very good feedback. Thank you.

I guess I'll have to keep being happy with what I got then.
It's just that the whole "up to 440hp" claim kinda got to me. It sure would be nice to have an "unbreakable" 440hp for a daily driver.
400whp (15% drivetrain loss from 440hp/crank) would be pretty sweet.

Though I'd be wondering if it would be more of a high strung screamer rather than a low end torque grunter...
Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

That is not an FRPP part, it's a package put together by that performance store. I myself am going N/A and will use the FRPP CNC ported heads and new intake manifold but going the route of custom spec cams. The problem with Hot Rods or most of the "off the shelf" street cams is they're generic kind of a "jack of all trades master of none". The only thing for me is if I should buy the FRPP heads with bigger valves or would it be cheaper to buy valves and accessories and have the regular CNC heads machined.
As for the TB don't listen to these guys I put on a GT-500 unit and even without a tune for it I felt a big difference and if you don't have CMCV deletes get a set of those too if you're going to stick to N/A but those you WILL NEED a tune for.

Quick Reply: Question for the N/a 3v gods