Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

My 2010 GT Project!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

You also didn't add in the 100% extra contingency cost. I always do that because I always end up spending about double what I had originally planned.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:34 PM
DavidGT

Wow lots of feedback, thanks guys!

I have to admit I'm a bit confused though.. everyone is saying forced induction, but that blows my whole wad on the engine. You can't just bolt on a blower and call it a day, right? You have to add a new fuel pump and higher flow injectors. And unless I'm totally in the dark here, doesn't that add a lot of strain to the engine? Wont I want to upgrade the heads and cams too to compensate for the extra muscle on top?

The way I see it, installing a supercharger leaves me enough money left over for some floor mats and a couple of decals for the window lol. And the idea of picking up a vortech for around $4000??? I haven't seen anything less than $5000 for the basic model blower for the 2010. Older years yes, but not for the 2010. And then you tack on tax and shipping to Hawaii (easily an extra $200), plus all the extras needed (fuel pump, injectors, etc..) and their tax and shipping charges and you've got a bill around $6500+...

And yes I did say I believed in performance first before looks. But the interior mods aren't about looks for me, they're about the nerdy toys. I'm a computer geek by heart and by trade, and a mustang lover as well. This is planned to be the combination of those two things. So for about $2500ish I get close to half the HP that a $6500 blower setup will get me... I don't really see the problem there...

Now this isn't a slam on anyone, and I hope my tone doesn't come across as argumentative or anything. I really do appreciate everyone's feedback, because that's what I asked for. I'm just very much of the opinion that forced induction is seen somewhat as a cliche these days... as in it seems to be the popular opinion that the end all be all of muscle car performance is a good blower. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to put one on next year... I just want to be able to get a good mix of all the things I want this year, without throwing all my eggs in one basket from the gate.

I have to get ready for work soon, but I'll be replying to more specific details in some of your posts later this evening (well into the am hours for you guys lol). And I'm revisiting the idea of the CAI intake due to the advice of a good friend here on island. He made a point that the throttle body without a CAI doesn't make much sense, and I think he may be right..

So I'll post more later, including a revised "finalized" parts list and I'll go from there.

Thanks again for all the input, again, I really appreciate your opinions!

David
Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 PM
RoushGT 1
2nd Gear Member

My opinion?

Roush M90 $4999
Roush suspension $1,249.99
nice set of wheels and tires $$$
Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DavidGT
Wow lots of feedback, thanks guys!

I have to admit I'm a bit confused though.. everyone is saying forced induction, but that blows my whole wad on the engine. You can't just bolt on a blower and call it a day, right? You have to add a new fuel pump and higher flow injectors. And unless I'm totally in the dark here, doesn't that add a lot of strain to the engine? Wont I want to upgrade the heads and cams too to compensate for the extra muscle on top?

The way I see it, installing a supercharger leaves me enough money left over for some floor mats and a couple of decals for the window lol. And the idea of picking up a vortech for around $4000??? I haven't seen anything less than $5000 for the basic model blower for the 2010. Older years yes, but not for the 2010. And then you tack on tax and shipping to Hawaii (easily an extra $200), plus all the extras needed (fuel pump, injectors, etc..) and their tax and shipping charges and you've got a bill around $6500+...

And yes I did say I believed in performance first before looks. But the interior mods aren't about looks for me, they're about the nerdy toys. I'm a computer geek by heart and by trade, and a mustang lover as well. This is planned to be the combination of those two things. So for about $2500ish I get close to half the HP that a $6500 blower setup will get me... I don't really see the problem there...

Now this isn't a slam on anyone, and I hope my tone doesn't come across as argumentative or anything. I really do appreciate everyone's feedback, because that's what I asked for. I'm just very much of the opinion that forced induction is seen somewhat as a cliche these days... as in it seems to be the popular opinion that the end all be all of muscle car performance is a good blower. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to put one on next year... I just want to be able to get a good mix of all the things I want this year, without throwing all my eggs in one basket from the gate.

I have to get ready for work soon, but I'll be replying to more specific details in some of your posts later this evening (well into the am hours for you guys lol). And I'm revisiting the idea of the CAI intake due to the advice of a good friend here on island. He made a point that the throttle body without a CAI doesn't make much sense, and I think he may be right..

So I'll post more later, including a revised "finalized" parts list and I'll go from there.

Thanks again for all the input, again, I really appreciate your opinions!

David
http://www.yatesperformance.com/must.../rh420023.html

that is the kit i ordered, it is 100% complete and has everything you need in it and its intercooled whereas the vortec kit is not at that price. All you need is an ase certified mechanic to do the install to keep your full facotry warranty. My install was $600. that leaves you about $3k. Again that kit is complete and has everythign you need fro safe and fully warrantied power.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

If you have $8000 that you're willing to spend . . .

Forget everything you've read here and trade the 2010 in on the 2011. Use the $8000 against he negative equity you acquired.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 PM
jamesgribley
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
If you have $8000 that you're willing to spend . . .

Forget everything you've read here and trade the 2010 in on the 2011. Use the $8000 against he negative equity you acquired.
CIDSAMUTH!!!! with the ROUSH kit mentioned two posts above gets you right around where the 2011 begins and that is not too shabby...

with another $3K left you get plenty of NERDY stuff to begin.....don't finish the project too soon or you will need a new one too soon!!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 PM
DavidGT

Ok I'd like to take this thread in a new direction....

Hypothetically speaking for purposes of this thread... let's just say that forced induction is a concept that doesn't exist....

So for the remainder of this thread.. no superchargers or whipplechargers...

Natural aspiration is a beautiful thing guys.. trust me =0)

.......and continue.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jamesgribley
CIDSAMUTH!!!! with the ROUSH kit mentioned two posts above gets you right around where the 2011 begins and that is not too shabby...

with another $3K left you get plenty of NERDY stuff to begin.....don't finish the project too soon or you will need a new one too soon!!
James, you're still here! I was being . . . facetious.

Last edited by cidsamuth; 06-09-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Soooooo tempting....
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DavidGT

Also, lol @ all the whipple 'fanboys' haha. Yeah, I hear you guys about the roots blower love.. but again, dumping all of my budget into about 100 HP.... just doesn't make sense.
The Whipple is NOT a roots blower, and it's more like 200+ HP with the Whipple HO kits currently on the market.

Quick Reply: My 2010 GT Project!