Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Roush Supercharger VS cams?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Blue10
1st Gear Member

When SVT decided they needed to supercharge the 4.6 to get the performance they contracted Roush to design and develop the system.

Roush selected the Eaton blower to meet the cost and reliability (warranty) requirements.

The S197 chassis gave SVT room for the 5.4, and they adapted the Roush-designed Eaton blower system for the GT500.

(Yep, the badges say "Shelby", but it's heritage is Roush!)

The point being that I think Roush really knows what they're doing with their Eaton packages for the 4.6 when it comes to tuning and reliability.

FRPP cams = voided drivetrain warranty
Roush blower = 3-year/36,000-mile full drivetrain warranty
Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Blue10
Roush blower = 3-year/36,000-mile full drivetrain warranty
Even with a car that is out of warranty?
And why exactly do the cams void the warranty?

What exactly do they do that is so bad for a blower?

Oh and P.S.
I thought the Ford Racing blowers were Whipple not Roush?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I called a Roush dealer and he quoted me 4195 for the M90.
The installer was not there for a install quote.

What do you guys think a good quote would be install and all?
Now you got me thinking.

I got 2 g's.... could get a loan for the rest of it..

But I know NOTHING about blowers.
That is what scares me. I don't want to screw my engine up.
What additional upkeep is needed for a car with a SC?

And would I need to buy gauges along with the SC?
How much would that be?
Old 06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Blue10
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Even with a car that is out of warranty?
Roush won't add a drivetrain warranty to a car that has already passed the manufacturer warranty, only 12-months on the Roush parts. But I think the significant difference between Roush's warranty for new cars and the lesser (if any) warranty offered by the other supercharger systems/brands says something about the risk a car owner is taking with the upgrade.

And why exactly do the cams void the warranty?
Most FRPP products come with no warranty and void the original manufacturer warranty, according to company policy.
Here's what it says at http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news47.asp
All Ford Racing Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Racing Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Ford Racing Performance Parts are sold "as is" with no warranty. A Limited Warranty is available for some select parts...

Select FR SuperPacks for 2005 - 2010 Mustangs and 2007 - 2010 Shelby GT500
The warranty will cover parts and labor to replace defective components on Ford Dealer installed parts only.
• A 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty is applicable when installed by an Authorized Dealer ( Ford, Lincoln Mercury or Shelby Automotive) prior to the vehicle reaching either 36 months or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first).
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 gives some protection against manufacturers voiding vehicle warranties because of aftermarket parts, but it might take a lawyer to benefit from that if things go wrong.

More info is here:So it comes down to how much risk a vehicle owner is willing to accept.

Oh and P.S.
I thought the Ford Racing blowers were Whipple not Roush?
That's correct. Ford Racing Whipple blowers are different than the Eaton blowers that the factory put on 03-04 SVT Cobras and 07-11 GT500's.

Last edited by Blue10; 06-16-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Good info.

But I don't see why a Mustang GT with a Roush charged engine and Hot Rod cams would really up the risk on blowing your engine vs a non cammed Roush charged engine would.

And I don't see why a person with a warranty out of date GT would worry about it that much. Especially with the Roush warranty only being for one year for the Roush parts only.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

The roush blower is made for the stock motor, changing anything from the cats up voids the warranty.You hav enothing to fear with teh roush tune and m90 blower as far as the motor going. the tune is conservative. No additional maintenance, you only have to change the blower oil every 100K. You put it on an drive.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Blue10
1st Gear Member

Good info.

But I don't see why a Mustang GT with a Roush charged engine and Hot Rod cams would really up the risk on blowing your engine vs a non cammed Roush charged engine would.

And I don't see why a person with a warranty out of date GT would worry about it that much. Especially with the Roush warranty only being for one year for the Roush parts only.
With a good tune, it could be safe.

Here's one example of a Roush 427R with the Ford Racing cams.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=451835
Old 06-17-2010, 02:22 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I called a Roush dealer and he quoted me 4195 for the M90.
The installer was not there for a install quote.

What do you guys think a good quote would be install and all?
Now you got me thinking.

I got 2 g's.... could get a loan for the rest of it..

But I know NOTHING about blowers.
That is what scares me. I don't want to screw my engine up.
What additional upkeep is needed for a car with a SC?

And would I need to buy gauges along with the SC?
How much would that be?
if you don't plan on ever going built motor or making insane power and just want something that will give you the most bang for your buck, it would be the M90.

You'll be making 385whp with the 6 psi kit (I think) with room to grow if you ever wanted to (450+ whp)

IMO getting a Whipple H.O. or something more expensive will be overkill if you only plan on making 400-415whp, but it'll do it more effortlessly. They have plenty of kits in your power range you plan on making.. why pay $6-7k for 400whp when you can do it for much less??
Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yes if I do go F.I. in the future it will be a low boost and at a range of about 385-400whp.

I just wanted to make sure the non F.I. Hot Rod cams I am installing now would not hurt the car with a blower put on it later.
That was my concern.
F.I. Would come in a year or two when my car is fully paid off.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Talking

Yes if I do go F.I. in the future it will be a low boost and at a range of about 385-400whp.

I just wanted to make sure the non F.I. Hot Rod cams I am installing now would not hurt the car with a blower put on it later.
That was my concern.
F.I. Would come in a year or two when my car is fully paid off.
the cams should be okay for the blower. 385-400whp is safe range for the motor.. just don't do anything dumb in it lol

By all means, if thats your hp goal. I'd sat get the M90 if you want a roots or a vortech/paxton if you want a centri.,. those numbers are easy to achieve.

Quick Reply: Roush Supercharger VS cams?