Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

450whp or drag set up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default 450whp or drag set up?

what do you guys think will be more potent on the drag strip?

This will be next years set up. Tires/rims coming in a few weeks

Roush M90 supercharger 9 psi 450whp high boost kit
JBA shorty headers
delete plates
3 inch cut outs

lower control arms
MT ET streets/ 17x10s

or

Vortech V3 8 psi non-intercooled 400whp
Hot rod cams
JBA shorty headers
delete plates
3 inch cut outs

PI 3k high stall torque converter
spydershaft light weight aluminum drive shaft

Lower control arms
MT ET streets /17x10s

Pretty much choosing between powering through the 1/4 vs a more balanced street/drag car with less power, but more efficient in using the power it has.

Aiming for high 11s. been at the drag strip quite often this season and seen so many old big blocks run 12.0s and 11.8s with very modest (108/115) trap speeds, with some full out drag slicks out back and skinnies up front, these are full interior cars, not gutted/caged... put 2 & 2 together and makes me think twice about just throwing more power into my ride... granted, they also most likely have 100 or so more lbs. of torque than I do as well lol

Last edited by stealth_GT; 07-06-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:41 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I have decided to to go ahead and get tires/rims and lower control arms this season, and then the M90 (6 psi kit), and use the money for the high output tune for a high stall torque converter and light weight driveshaft next year and really get some great times.

cams + high boost kit may come in later depending on the times I run.

Pretty confident in this set up!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

I believe that if you get a roots/twin screw blower there is no need for delete plates since they eliminate the intake manifold all together. You would only need the delete places with a centrifugal blower or a turbo.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dysan
I believe that if you get a roots/twin screw blower there is no need for delete plates since they eliminate the intake manifold all together. You would only need the delete places with a centrifugal blower or a turbo.
cool, I totally forgot about that.. I can sell them for $100 when I go M90
Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 AM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

wont the M90 plus the big horsepower upgrade parts cost almost as much as a twin screw? Are there many M90s in the 11's even? I've only seen like one or two on fnsweet.com . IDK I just think saving a little longer and getting a twin screw would give you a better chance of getting 11's.

That 4300$ rouscharger is tempting though lol.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadMoose
wont the M90 plus the big horsepower upgrade parts cost almost as much as a twin screw? Are there many M90s in the 11's even? I've only seen like one or two on fnsweet.com . IDK I just think saving a little longer and getting a twin screw would give you a better chance of getting 11's.

That 4300$ rouscharger is tempting though lol.
I have to mod around the extreme weather up here in AK

From what I have been told, the roots design is the most tolerant of the superchargers in extreme weather, because of the rudimentary design of the rotors.

I don't know though, I could work around it and get the R2300 after all. Still a long way from now lol.

450whp is more than enough power for me. I just have to work on getting it all to the ground with the 4.10s/auto. Trying to crack into the low 12s this season with;

Vortech V3 non-intercooled 8 psi (380whp)
deletes plates
FRPP 4.10
JBA shorty headers high heat coated
3 inch dual cut outs
MT ET streets on 17s out back
Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 PM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

Yeah yatesperformance.com has the roush TVS for like 5200$ I'm hoping they have the stage 1 phased ones for around that too.

If I was at lower altitude I would probably jump on that M90, but up here with it maxed out i wont even be at 400rwhp and it would cost me as much as a twin screw kit to get it maxed out (including upgrading heat exchanger)

I am curious about roots working better than twin screws in cold temps, I had only heard about the centris having issues!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If you are looking 11s

Skip the 3" cut outs
Skip the M90
Skip the cams

Get a really good air/water intercooler for the Vortech. Leave the boost the same or make it 10 psi.

17" DRs
4.10s
A good convertor.

Should make 450-475 rwhp and run 11.5-11.6 @ 120
Old 07-08-2010, 12:40 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadMoose
Yeah yatesperformance.com has the roush TVS for like 5200$ I'm hoping they have the stage 1 phased ones for around that too.

If I was at lower altitude I would probably jump on that M90, but up here with it maxed out i wont even be at 400rwhp and it would cost me as much as a twin screw kit to get it maxed out (including upgrading heat exchanger)

I am curious about roots working better than twin screws in cold temps, I had only heard about the centris having issues!
the rudimentary design of the roots blower isn't all that great in terms of today's technology with tvs roots or twin screws, but they are pretty damn stout in terms of reliability.. I was told that they will have no issues in the cold weather we have up here like the Vortech's do. Intermeshed 3 lobe rotors are far less vulnerable to the cold vs twin screw roots set ups because of less twisting and complexity (extreme cold weather, mechanical clearances changing among the meshed lobes or gears if centris, changes things and mucks things up pretty bad). Also I forget where I read it but the roots doesn't always suck in air like the twin screws, so that's also a plus in very cold mornings (start up). I thought about parking my car over the winter, getting a beater truck and tending to the vortech.. but that sounds like a lot of work, honestly lol

Originally Posted by Simon1
If you are looking 11s

Skip the 3" cut outs
Skip the M90
Skip the cams

Get a really good air/water intercooler for the Vortech. Leave the boost the same or make it 10 psi.

17" DRs
4.10s
A good convertor.

Should make 450-475 rwhp and run 11.5-11.6 @ 120
I wish it was warm enough to keep the Vortech and go HO upgrade honestly. I really like the blower, but it will have to go next year. Who knows.. I graduate next year and will have a huge chunk of change to spend. I might just toss the money down on a 10 GT500

I have a tendency to be manic when it comes to funds.

I still have much confidence in the little roots blower and some supporting mods...
Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
the rudimentary design of the roots blower isn't all that great in terms of today's technology with tvs roots or twin screws, but they are pretty damn stout in terms of reliability.. I was told that they will have no issues in the cold weather we have up here like the Vortech's do. Intermeshed 3 lobe rotors are far less vulnerable to the cold vs twin screw roots set ups because of less twisting and complexity (extreme cold weather, mechanical clearances changing among the meshed lobes or gears if centris, changes things and mucks things up pretty bad). Also I forget where I read it but the roots doesn't always suck in air like the twin screws, so that's also a plus in very cold mornings (start up). I thought about parking my car over the winter, getting a beater truck and tending to the vortech.. but that sounds like a lot of work, honestly lol

I wish it was warm enough to keep the Vortech and go HO upgrade honestly. I really like the blower, but it will have to go next year. Who knows.. I graduate next year and will have a huge chunk of change to spend. I might just toss the money down on a 10 GT500

I have a tendency to be manic when it comes to funds.

I still have much confidence in the little roots blower and some supporting mods...
I don't understand why you have to get rid of it.

Does it get to cold in Alaska?

Quick Reply: 450whp or drag set up?