Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help! Ford Racing tuner not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 PM
hybrideater

Default Help! Ford Racing tuner not working

Today I installed my Ford Racing CAI. I went to install the tune and just a blank screen appeared on the calibration tool. Initially the red light came on indicated a firmware update, but no words on the screen. Any idea what's wrong?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Love your user name! And as a gt I would hope you do! Lmfao as a Yugo can beat a hybrid!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hybrideater
Today I installed my Ford Racing CAI. I went to install the tune and just a blank screen appeared on the calibration tool. Initially the red light came on indicated a firmware update, but no words on the screen. Any idea what's wrong?
Did you get the sd card from FRPP with the tune for your car? It's sent seperately after you register the tuner. I hope it's as easy as this.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:35 PM
hybrideater

Originally Posted by BruceH
Did you get the sd card from FRPP with the tune for your car? It's sent seperately after you register the tuner. I hope it's as easy as this.
Yeah I got the sd card. You just put it in and it's good to go right?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hybrideater
Yeah I got the sd card. You just put it in and it's good to go right?
Pretty much. It's been about a year since the last time I did a pro-cal tune. Card goes in the bottom. Plug the tuner in to obd and follow the instructions. FRPP will take care of it. Sucks that you will have to wait a few days though.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 PM
hybrideater

Originally Posted by BruceH
Pretty much. It's been about a year since the last time I did a pro-cal tune. Card goes in the bottom. Plug the tuner in to obd and follow the instructions. FRPP will take care of it. Sucks that you will have to wait a few days though.
I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Being from Ford, I'm sure they'll tell you "that's the way it's designed and it's normal."

Since the Ford tune is lame (basically it's the tune they load in the Bullitt and only yields an extra 15 crank HP with the CAI which is what the '10 GT is equivalent to), you're probably not missing much compared to a good aftermarket tune.

Regardless, let us know what your outcome is with getting your issue resolved. Until it's resolved, don't run the CAI on the stock tune. You'll likely throw a lean code.

Last edited by Nuke; 08-06-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
07hotwheel

On our V6, we had to have a second card sent out for the programmer to work. on my V8, some how i was shipped one that had been previously registerd and had to have a whole kit sent back out. But, I am very happy with it
Old 08-10-2010, 03:16 PM
hybrideater

I got the new tool yesterday and uploaded. Everything worked fine this time.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Being from Ford, I'm sure they'll tell you "that's the way it's designed and it's normal."

Since the Ford tune is lame (basically it's the tune they load in the Bullitt and only yields an extra 15 crank HP with the CAI which is what the '10 GT is equivalent to), you're probably not missing much compared to a good aftermarket tune.

Regardless, let us know what your outcome is with getting your issue resolved. Until it's resolved, don't run the CAI on the stock tune. You'll likely throw a lean code.
Just dug up some old dyno sheets and thought I'd share the information. My first tune was a pro-cal tune. Dynoed at 277rwhp 297tq, af was a little over 12. Upgraded to a Brenspeed tune and underdrive pullies and made 285rwhp/303rwtq, af was a tad over 13. I don't think the udp's did anything. All of this on a 2008 GT with no other performance mods.

OP: Glad to hear everything worked out. The Bullitt cai is one of the better looking ones imo.

Quick Reply: Help! Ford Racing tuner not working