Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:45 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger question

Im thinking about getting a saleen this coming spring and was wanting to know if u guys changed out your fuel pumps during your install. Im looking to get the stage 1 from brenspeed. I dont think that this particular stage suggests a new fuel pump but i thought i had heard some people say that the fuel pumps in these cars have a tendency to fail. So i was wondering if it would be a good ideal to go ahead and replace the stock pump. And say if the fuel pump would happen to fail what does that do to car and or supercharger Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

If memory serves the saleen kit from brenspeed uses a boost a pump. I know that whipples kit uses different fuel pumps and i've heard of people having problems with the boost a pump. If the fuel pump were to fail, you'll want to wish you aren't under load. There was a thread not to long ago where a guy was racing and his car went very lean (higher air to fuel ratio) and it ended it a blown motor.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:46 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

no the fuel pump does not have a tendency to fail. As far as running lean at WOT, yeh you will blow your motor. Keep the duty cycles of the pump lower than 80% and you should be good. No you dont need a gt500 pump for the stage one. You should consider getting one when your making more than 440 rwhp...

Who has problems with BAP? I dont see what issue you could possibly have with one.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 AM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
no the fuel pump does not have a tendency to fail. As far as running lean at WOT, yeh you will blow your motor. Keep the duty cycles of the pump lower than 80% and you should be good. No you dont need a gt500 pump for the stage one. You should consider getting one when your making more than 440 rwhp...

Who has problems with BAP? I dont see what issue you could possibly have with one.
How long have u had ur supercharger
Old 08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

So you decided on the Saleen?? Great choice! The twin screw is gonna make driving fun!

Wish I could help you more about the fuel pump issue... but unless you are running a ton of boost, I think the Kenne Bell boost of pump and larger injectors are fine. Even with the 10 psi upgrade on my V3, I'll still be running the BAP I have right now.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:03 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
So you decided on the Saleen?? Great choice! The twin screw is gonna make driving fun!

Wish I could help you more about the fuel pump issue... but unless you are running a ton of boost, I think the Kenne Bell boost of pump and larger injectors are fine. Even with the 10 psi upgrade on my V3, I'll still be running the BAP I have right now.
I think im going to get the saleen but it wont be until spring when i do it. I was just getting some researching done before purchasing. I had read where guys were selling there superchargers b/c they were going through belts at an alarming rate but that sounds like to me they dont have there pulleys lined up. I asked chandler from brenspeed about my questions and he made me feel better about it. What are the maintenence with superchargers. Where is the oil located. Is an oil seperator necessary for a supercharger
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

I'll say that as far as belt problems, there hasn't seemed to be any issues with the Edelbrock set-ups. I'm running 10-11 lbs of boost on mine and the roush HD tensioner with no problems.

As far as an oil separator, that is a necessity for all these cars. You should have seen the inside of my intake manifold when I took it off to install the e-force, it was dripping with oil! I now run a breather set-up so no chance of blow-by any more.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dysan
I'll say that as far as belt problems, there hasn't seemed to be any issues with the Edelbrock set-ups. I'm running 10-11 lbs of boost on mine and the roush HD tensioner with no problems.

As far as an oil separator, that is a necessity for all these cars. You should have seen the inside of my intake manifold when I took it off to install the e-force, it was dripping with oil! I now run a breather set-up so no chance of blow-by any more.
I am confused by your sig.. is that NA or the Eforce??
Old 08-28-2010, 10:16 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

The 12.858 run was when I was N/A. I've run a few 11.5xx and it consistently runs 11.6xxx right now. I've just too lazy to update my sig.