Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Short Throw Shifters. HONESTY folks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Question Short Throw Shifters. HONESTY folks!

O.K. I have been thinking and I am really considering a short throw shifter as my next mod. I am going to have to save up for it but I was considering it over a new UDP or LCA's.

Reason being is I went up against a friends mustang who only had 4.10s, CAI and canned tune, and LCA's and a Short shifter and I was really surprised at how close he kept up with me. Oh yeah... he did have a nice set of drag radials on though..

Anyhow I noticed when we were racing how much much faster he was able to shift because he had his windows rolled down and I could actually see his arm shift.

He told me how much more smoother his shifting was over stock too.

So I wanted to ask those who have them are they REALLY worth it?
Do they make shifting much more fun and feel much better?
Do they actually make the shift distance shorter?
Are there ANY possible down sides to installing one?

Also ... what is the best brand to buy?
I can't install it myself. I repeat I CANNOT do it.
I have back problems and it just wont let me do such things.
So I was wondering if any of you had a shop install one and how much they usually cost to install.

That way I can get a good idea of how much I am going to have to save up total.
I do want the best shifter available.

Thanks for the input folks!
Old 08-29-2010, 02:56 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

What ever shifter you decide to get, also get a CHE K-member brace w/tq limiters. This will keep your engine and tranny inline which will virtually eliminate miss shifts. Cost for install for both shifter and CHE probably be around $150 to $200.
I am happy with my hurst with the k-member brace.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

How much do the CHE K-member brace w/tq limiters run?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:09 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I think it was 160 from brenspeed.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Yes, they can be remarkably shorter then stock. I have a Pro 5.0 short throw. Plus shifts are much more solid, you KNOW when you're in gear and which one. I ended up installing it myself but had a local shop quote me $100 to install.

Far as fun, yes I think they are more fun to shift with one. It's not as easy as stock though I will tell you that. Takes more muscle and effort to shift but once you got it down, you can row thru the gears a lot quicker.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:50 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

I swapped out my stock shifter back in 2005 to the B&M ripper shifter and it served me well until this year. It just wore out after time and I decided to get the MGW shifter and I love it. I set it per MGW's recommendations at 5 turns out and the throw is a bit shorter than the B&M and and quite a bit shorter than the stock shifter.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Yeah I've heard the MGW is one of the best, if not the best for the S197. I bought the Pro 5.0 for about $200 and few months later, MGW lowered the price of the shifter to $199 from $249. DOH! lol
Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Franchi
Yeah I've heard the MGW is one of the best, if not the best for the S197. I bought the Pro 5.0 for about $200 and few months later, MGW lowered the price of the shifter to $199 from $249. DOH! lol
I paid $299 for my MGW then they dropped the price to $249 a few weeks later. Still have a resentment about that.

I've had a hurst and mgw, recommend the mgw. It will make shifts shorter but I think it's hard to beat the stock shifter for smoothness.

If I were the OP I'd get the control arms first.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 PM
jwth2005
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dysan
I swapped out my stock shifter back in 2005 to the B&M ripper shifter and it served me well until this year. It just wore out after time and I decided to get the MGW shifter and I love it. I set it per MGW's recommendations at 5 turns out and the throw is a bit shorter than the B&M and and quite a bit shorter than the stock shifter.
I also have the B&M in my car. what issues were u experiencing with yours? Mine squeaks like an sob. I love the throw tho. I will eventually get the hurst or the MGW.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

MGW is really the cream of the crop.

Quick Reply: Short Throw Shifters. HONESTY folks!