Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

? ? ? Fuel pump failure ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM
reckles1

Default ? ? ? Fuel pump failure ? ? ?

Hey,

This may sound like a dumb question but what would happen your fuel pump failed?
I’m thinking that the answer would be nothing other than your car would bog out like it was running outta’ gas. However, I wanted to make sure that it would not cause any damage to my engine because it ran lean.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Jims07Screw

Car just dies, Mine failed and left me sitting on the side of the road. Figures it was a month or so after I installed a Procharger.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 PM
reckles1

The reason why i asked is because my car started kinda boggen' about a week after I put a vortech HO kit in, and has progressively gotten worse. A buddy's buddy works at ford and let us use the ford factory hand held & it Says I'm only gettin' 60% fuel to the rails. I guess I'm gonna' have to go back in by the tank and make sure I don't have a bad connection or a kinked line but I'm going to drop a new battery in 1 to make sure it's not a voltage issue.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

whats your rail pressure? you can data log that even at idle. could be a clogged fuel filter.. how many mile you have on it?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 AM
reckles1

Originally Posted by lostsoul
whats your rail pressure? you can data log that even at idle. could be a clogged fuel filter.. how many mile you have on it?
Ok,

I pulled the fuel pump last night checked and made sure everything was connected and I found that the fuel lines that go to the fuel pump that came with the vortech kit were kinked, so I thought I found the problem.

However after I put it back in I was still having the same issue. So... I hooked up the tuner and data loged what the car was doing and found I was losing Rail pressure. It was dropping to as low as 32lbs at W.O.T. and as that happened It lost volts to the fuel pump as well. Going as low as 2.2 on the 5 volt end.

Last edited by reckles1; 09-08-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

What voltage is your fuel pump running as leading up to when it drops? Do you have the boost/vacuum reference hooked up to your fuel pressure regulator correctly?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
reckles1

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
What voltage is your fuel pump running as leading up to when it drops? Do you have the boost/vacuum reference hooked up to your fuel pressure regulator correctly?
I see where your going on both accounts

I'm not really sure what it is before the pump. I will have to get my hands on a volt meter and let you know...

As for the Boost / vac reference... Are you asking if I have any gauges ???
If so, then yeah I gotta' boost / vac gauge and i'm sure its hooked up right.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

On most fuel injected cars there is whats called a Fuel Pressure regulator. It sits on the fuel rail (on my car, is on the driver side of the fuel rail). It uses engine vacuum to move a plunger that either adds pressure to, or subtracts pressure from the fuel system. As you increase your RPM, it adds fuel pressure to keep up with your fuel needs. If the vacuum line you have hooked to it isn't from a good source your fuel pressure wont be increasing as your RPM does.

Your instructions should specifically tell you about where that vacuum line should come from, so check that and make sure it's hooked up properly.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 PM
reckles1

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
On most fuel injected cars there is whats called a Fuel Pressure regulator. It sits on the fuel rail (on my car, is on the driver side of the fuel rail). It uses engine vacuum to move a plunger that either adds pressure to, or subtracts pressure from the fuel system. As you increase your RPM, it adds fuel pressure to keep up with your fuel needs. If the vacuum line you have hooked to it isn't from a good source your fuel pressure wont be increasing as your RPM does.

Your instructions should specifically tell you about where that vacuum line should come from, so check that and make sure it's hooked up properly.
Hey never got your last post in my email....Oh by the way I replaced my fuel filter this weekend and it was kinda nasty. That being said just to be safe I also took the time to blow out the fuel line to insure there was not anything blocking the flow.

After I did that i primed the line by turning the key of an on and found that after I did that the car ran really good for a while then the FRP would go back down. and it would bog again. kinda makes me wonder about the regulater so Thats good info I'll check that out for sure. I'm trying not to have to break down and get a GT500 PUMP. The wifes starting to tap her foot and put her hand on her hip being that I just droped 6k for a S/C. but I gotta feeling that if I do all my issue will go away
Old 09-13-2010, 06:48 PM
MReesePT

I think that I am having the same problems so keep us posted on your progress. My 06 runs good when you first start it then bogs out. If you shut if off and turn it then it runs good only at first.

Quick Reply: ? ? ? Fuel pump failure ? ? ?