Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need CHE-K member brace w/ t limiters with new shifter? Or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Question Need CHE-K member brace w/ t limiters with new shifter? Or no?

I am getting a MGW shifter and trying to decide on getting a CHE K member brace, or installing the shifter alone.

So I am looking for opinions from people who have installed the brace.

Please included whether you installed the brace AFTER you drove your car with your new shifter, or before, or at the same time.

This way I will know if you actually knew how your new short shifter felt before you installed the brace.

Please include how much you think it helps v.s. the short shifter alone.

MGW advised me to try it without the brace and said if I notice that it felt bad from 2-3 and such after to install the brace.
They said the brace was not a bad idea at all and that some people have them, but that many people don't need it because they feel the MGW is great as is.

Basically as said before he was advising me to try it without the brace at first and if I felt I needed it later to then get it.
He told me there is no use in buying it if you are already perfectly satisfied with the way it shifts already

So input and opinions please!
Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I installed my CHE-K member after installing my shifter. It made a big difference in how the car shifts. Before the CHE K member at the track I would miss shift maybe 10-20% of the time...sometimes more. Since having the K-member installed, I miss shifted once and that was my fault. I did talk to a guy at the track who had the MGW and he said he miss shifts and he was going back to stock. I also drove a car with the MGW and the shifter does feel smoother than my hurst w/o tq limiters.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I installed the CHE k member brace after the MGW, the shifting is aided only at WOT, the torque limiters don't allow movement in the driveline so it's not unloading when you press the clutch. The big plus in the K member brace is the way the car is much tighter over bumps and uneven road surfaces.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

yeah i would recommend it too. Should make shifting a breeze, although the MGW will do that all on its own i would hope
Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I had my hurst short shifter before getting the K member brace with limiters and at the track 3rd was a bitch to shift quickly. now with the limiters I've had zero problems, one of the best cheap mods you can do.

It's obviously a design flaw with the shifter being mounted to both the tranny and the chassis. when the motor flexes under acceleration the tranny shifts and the shifter is no longer lined up. with the MGW mounting the same way as the hurst both are prone to the same problem.

I saw an ad in a magazine for an upgraded manual for our S197's and the tranny was set up so that the shifter went straight into the tranny, not mounted to the chassis at all. That simple change fixes the shifting issues. that's how my old S2000 was from the factory and that was the best shifting car I've ever had.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

If you purchase the K-member brace direct from C.H.E. tell Chuck I sent ya! Not that it's going to do anything I just love Chuck he's done so much to help me out.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:10 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

I've got one for sale.. check the for sale section if you are interested.. (title is S197 Suspension and other misc).
Old 09-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Save you rmoney. Get your clutch replaced.