Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

headers ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
football7star21
1st Gear Member

Default headers ?

I want to get a set of shorty headers. ya ya i know it wont do sh*t for my performance gain... but thats not what i am looking for. IF i get them will my exhaust be noticabley louder/deeper. I am either gona get the pypes shortys or the bbk tuned length. I have the pype bomb and everything else exhaust wise is stock.

Also can some1 explain the dif between the tuned length shortys and reg. shortys.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2010, 01:33 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

In general i would say it wont be very noticable sound-wise..but with muffler deletes i think youll hear some difference in volume due to the open nature of the sound. I think all shortys for the s197 are equal length.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:53 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

The FRPP shorty headers are not equal length. Only the JBA and BBK shorties are equal length.

You will pick up some rwhp, about 5-7 less than long tubes IMO. Most gains come from deleting the cats with a o/r h or x pipe. Since long tubes require a new mid pipe, most LT purchasers get the o/r mid pipe, hense the larger gains over shorties with the factory catted mid pipe.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:20 AM
football7star21
1st Gear Member

thanks guys, but i am most worried about the sound, otherwise i wont purchase them, because i know the gains are minimal. also i have a guy that said hed do the instal for about 250$ is that good or no? i always tdo my own work, but u have to lift the motor a bit to get the headers on....
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by football7star21
thanks guys, but i am most worried about the sound, otherwise i wont purchase them, because i know the gains are minimal. also i have a guy that said hed do the instal for about 250$ is that good or no? i always tdo my own work, but u have to lift the motor a bit to get the headers on....
Mixed signals here. Are you wanting them to be loud or no? If you want volume, and plenty of it...lol.....go with LT's and an O/R mid. If you don't want volume, stick with stock. Headers are easily a DIY project if you have a basic set of tools, some extensions, and patience. I did mine and I'm glad I did cause it's RIGHT!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:35 PM
football7star21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Mixed signals here. Are you wanting them to be loud or no? If you want volume, and plenty of it...lol.....go with LT's and an O/R mid. If you don't want volume, stick with stock. Headers are easily a DIY project if you have a basic set of tools, some extensions, and patience. I did mine and I'm glad I did cause it's RIGHT!
well i have no idea how to lift the motor... and i am not willing to spend the money on longtubes ( dont have it right now anyway) but i was just going to go with shortys for better sound, if u guys dont think i will get a better more aggressive sound then i most likely wont get the headers, also if i have a midpipe with no cats, i dont have mufflers and if i ahd long tubes longtubes. itd be to loud id get pulled over all the time.

my other option was a high flow catted x pipe, but idk if the sound would be worth 450$

Last edited by football7star21; 09-04-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

if you go with the high heat shorty headers (used to be called titanium ceramic coated) from JBA, they will keep the heat down by a large margin than the stock log type headers. I have the JBAs and they remain very very very cool even during many runs on the track.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 PM
football7star21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
if you go with the high heat shorty headers (used to be called titanium ceramic coated) from JBA, they will keep the heat down by a large margin than the stock log type headers. I have the JBAs and they remain very very very cool even during many runs on the track.
awesome! did u notice a difference in sound or no?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I noticed a difference in sound. They even out the exhaust pulses and give the exhaust a deeper tone IMO.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:53 PM
LegendLives
4th Gear Member

I installed the FRPP ceramic coated shortys and I did not notice any sound difference or any HP gains. I did it mainly for aesthetic reasons, but should of just waited, saved more $$ and did the long-tubes for HP gain.

Quick Reply: headers ?