Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Intake Manifold Gasket Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Blaksta0nine0

Default Intake Manifold Gasket Leak

Hey guys I'm new to the Mustang Forums here, but, just had to put my car in the shop because it's been running a little sluggish, and getting crud for gas, the mechanic told me that my Intake Manifold Gasket is leaking...

How serious can this be?

I drive a 2006 Mustang GT 4.6L
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Blaksta0nine0

also, couldn't find the edit button, sorry for the double post.

I installed a non-tuned (advertised no need for tune) BBK CAI installed as well if that makes a difference...
Old 10-19-2010, 11:15 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

The intake manifold has one gasket for each cylinder and they are fairly easy to do. Have you tried putting the stock airbox back on to test? I would do that, and while you're swapping the stock one back on, unhook the negative battery terminal so the car re-learns it's idle & fuel trims.

Take it out for a drive and see if that helps.

As for the no-tune-needed CAI's I never believe that. There's been a few who have tried them and found out that their air/fuel ratio had leaned out because of it.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Blaksta0nine0

Yeah...about the Stock intake....It's been gone for about a year lol...as far as the tune goes, the exhaust does sound like a cleaner rumble once I put the intake on, but didn't really notice any torque gains, and lower fuel economy. Which to my understanding should be the opposite...

I had a 04 SVT Cobra for 4 years, all sorts of aftermarket, but it was a college present...my brothers had already put everything on, so after I got hit by a drunk driver and totaled it, I picked up my new baby...the 06 GT, so, this is my first actual aftermarket experience on my own (installs and all), so, I'm kinda in the air about what truly needs to be done. I told them to go ahead and fix it, which they said will be $380... It's cheaper to pay the $380, than to lose a day of work making double that. Otherwise I'd do it myself 110%!

Any other pointers?

P.S. The reader that I put on posted System Lean 1 bank 2 & 1 twice (like I said, i'm still learning...) and they said it was all 4 o2 sensors, but I thought they were full of it, and dug into it myself and turns out it was the Intake Manifold Gasket was-a-leakin'.

All-in-all a GREAT start to my week. Lol!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There are some symptoms to look for with a leaking head gasket that you haven't mentioned. Are you SURE that's the problem? I'd do some of the standard maintenance items associated with "sluggish"; plugs, fuel system cleaning, fuel filter, clean the MAF, clean the TB, fresh fuel from a different source, etc; before leaving her in the hands of some "head gasket monging butcher".
Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Blaksta0nine0

Well, just got a call from the mechanic. He says that the gaskets aren't leaking anymore after putting the new set on this morning. Then he told me that something was going on with the flow through the manifold, and at the end of his long winded, car/engine/manifold blather and jargin that I didn't fully understand, my total came out to 1350 for a new manifold. Then he called me back and said that the fantastic news was that the new manifold and labor would be covered under my 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, but the bad thing is, I don't have the stock intake anymore so, it voids the warranty.

/facepalm

Does anyone know how much a stock intake would run me for a 06 gt? if I can snag the factory intake, I can take it to ford, get it fixed, then plop my BBK back in.

Why do car problems always have chain-reactions? lmao
Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

I don't think he's talking about a head gasket, he's talking about the intake manifold gasket(s) which are the blue rubber rings that sit below the IMRC plates between the heads and the intake.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

I would fight that. Unless they can prove that your CAI "DID" cause the issue of those gaskets, you are covered under the Magnuson-Moss act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Blaksta0nine0

The mechanic said that my CAI did not cause this at all, he said it happened in a completely different part of the engine and my BBK had NOTHING to do with it....Bleh

This is all so confusing
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Blaksta0nine0

After a long drawn out battle with Ford, I was able to get the car covered under the Power-Train warranty, regardless of the intake....since the intake had no role to play in the manifold going out...or that's what I think..

Can a CAI cause the manifold to go bad?

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Gasket Leak