Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

tune and intake question were to buy from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 PM
gearhead06

Default tune and intake question were to buy from?

just bought my 2008 mustang gt 4.6 V8 and I love it, now to start with the upgrades I ordered exhaust and ran into to a dead end on a air intake and tuner, I want to buy a package deal but I dont know of any repeatable sites to buy from, any ideas on a good buy and a good package deal from a good site? I was looking at the C&L Racer with a SCT Xcal or something in that area...

thanks allot
jason
Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You'll find most folks buy from AM or Brenspeed. Their tunes are some of the best. The CAI is neither here nor there; buy the CAI based on what appeals to your eyes. The tune is about 80% of the combo's power adder. The C&L Racer is no better than the others despite it's larger MAF unless you intend to do some serious internal mods and go FI.

As far as exhaust, the stock pipes and mufflers flow quite well and you won't gain any power with any changes after the OE H-pipe; just sound.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

+1 for american muscle...i bought the jlt/tuner package and it is orgasmic (and cheapest). Heard lots of good things about brenspeed and their customer service is the best.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

+1 Brenspeed

I'm satisfied with their tunes.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:19 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

+2 Brenspeed. Load up the 93 tune and hang on baby! Can't wait to drive over in the spring for my new rear gear install and meet some of the guys.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
... Load up the 93 tune and hang on baby! ...
Not to skew a bit off topic but when you DO receive your tunes, I recommend loading the lowest octane/performance tune initially and then work your way up from there. Too many people immediately load their highest octane tune and then lose the opportunity to get a feel for the different characteristics of each tune and which best suits their driving style. Even a good custom 87 octane tune will run cirlcles around the stock 87 tune. Quite often the higher octane tunes tend to be more "spirited" in the upper RPM range and a bit doggy down low, requiring you to have to put your foot in it more around town.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Not to skew a bit off topic but when you DO receive your tunes, I recommend loading the lowest octane/performance tune initially and then work your way up from there. Too many people immediately load their highest octane tune and then lose the opportunity to get a feel for the different characteristics of each tune and which best suits their driving style. Even a good custom 87 octane tune will run cirlcles around the stock 87 tune. Quite often the higher octane tunes tend to be more "spirited" in the upper RPM range and a bit doggy down low, requiring you to have to put your foot in it more around town.
Yeah I completely agree with this. I had a mixture of 89, 91, and 93 tunes from Bama (American Muscle now) and Brenspeed on my 2007 GT (so 6 total), and the 91 tunes felt stronger from both vendors than the 93s. I preferred the Bama tune on that car though, it was auto.

Then on my 09 GT, I again had a mixture of tunes from Bama and Brenspeed, and again, the 91 tunes felt stronger than the 93's. The car was a manual and I preferred Brenspeed's 91 tune.

Lastly when I put the Vortech blower on the 09, I had a 91 and a 93 tune from Brenspeed. The 91 tune felt stronger/better yet again over the 93.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Pony123
2nd Gear Member

I have a BBK Cold air intake if your interested

See my thread.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/part...ir-intake.html
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Another vote for Brenspeed!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gearhead06
just bought my 2008 mustang gt 4.6 V8 and I love it, now to start with the upgrades I ordered exhaust and ran into to a dead end on a air intake and tuner, I want to buy a package deal but I dont know of any repeatable sites to buy from, any ideas on a good buy and a good package deal from a good site? I was looking at the C&L Racer with a SCT Xcal or something in that area...

thanks allot
jason
Give the Bama guys a call at 888.226.9764 any time Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST and they'll go over all of the technical questions that you may have, and give you some recommendations as to the best performing cold air intakes and tunes based off of dyno sheets we received, our own in-house testing and years of experience.

We offer free tunes for life, so you never have to worry about purchasing a new tune, no matter where you purchase your modifications. We offer free same-day shipping, and we ship out of the Philadelphia area, so most of the country is within 3-5 days, and anything on the east coast is 1-3 days.

Good luck! Do some reading around, and I think you'll be happy with the reviews of our products!

Quick Reply: tune and intake question were to buy from?