Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Check Chraging System light

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:20 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

Default Check Chraging System light

I've been getting this warning every once in a while for the last month. Comes and goes. Car drives and starts fine, no other electrical problems. No, I don't have the water in the footwell problem (thank god, lol).

I've been reading some forums, and most people change out this, test this, replace that, charge this.. four or five times, and no one seems to have an answer as to what causes the problem.

Are there any definative answers?

Also, I have an extended warranty, but do I have to pay the $100 deductible everytime I go in for the same problem, or if they don't fix it the first time, and I come back, I'm good... Thanks!

Last edited by hardcore302; 11-01-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 PM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

Have you owned this car since new or did you buy it used? Do you know if the battery has been replaced and have you checked the voltage when you see the problem??
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

I have replaced the battery once, after it kept dying. But I only received the warning light after I put the new battery in, which is strange, no? I'm the only owner.never checked voltage.thank you.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Since you've been reading the forums then you're aware of the crappy OE battery (which you've replaced with...?) and the chronic alternator issues.

I'll bite my lip regarding not keeping an eye on your electrical system via the occasional static and operating voltage checks. Considering the well documented issues with the S197 electrical system, checking it should be no different than checking your oil and tire pressure on pre-determined frequencies (rather than waiting for the "ahhhhh crap!"). Especially since you state that you've had obvious issues over the past month.

There are no definitive answers but additional info would be beneficial for those of us that you're asking for help from. I'd suspect a finicky alternator since they seem to begin to go south when the OE battery has demanded more than just a maintenance charge. If you can get your hands on a voltmeter, voltage readings in the morning before starting but after the car has sat overnite followed by voltage readings upon startup would be a beginning. Also, have you thrown any codes?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

No codes, had the system checked at a shop, says it's fine. Replacement is bosch.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:43 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

Anyone?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I got an engine check light once and the dealership said I ruined the ecm computer. when I had them check the alternator it was fixed. The engine code said ecm trouble code which the dealership couldn't diagnose just what it was. I have read that you don't have a check engine light but it's worth looking into right? If not you could be driving one day and the car just dies on you or maybe not.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:20 AM
GTRaider
1st Gear Member

The electrical systems in these cars can definitely be a problem. I had a problem several months ago and was helped by Nuke and several others here. But it's hard for others who are far more knowledgable than I am to say what is causing your problem definitively without more information than you seem to be able to give. If a reputable shop said your charging system was OK, then who are we to say it's not - and that you have a bad alternator or battery.

One simple thing you can do was suggested to me by Lance 3986. He suggested that a problem he was having that seemed to be the same as what I was going through, might be caused by corrosion on the ground points under the hood. When I checked mine, I did see that they needed to be cleaned. There was some rust and a white powdery substance on the connectors. Anyone will tell you that a bad ground can cause unusual electrical problems. They're easy to find if you look carefully. Try that and see if it helps. You can do it yourself easily with a few wrenches and a little emery cloth or steel wool. Also check your battery cables for corrosion. You might be surprised at what you find. Cleaning the ground points ought to be on everyone's yearly maintanence list.

The other thing I did was replace the Motorcrap battery with an Optima RedTop. I don't drive my car that often so I occasionally put a Battery Tender on it to keep the charge up - batteries lose charge through parasitic drain casued by the electrical systems that remain powered up all the time like the clock and computer, etc. Batteries with a low charge can cause some strange issues. All this seemed to cure my problem - but mine was not the same as yours.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

I had the "check charging system" light come up, but it could be several things. I finally gave in and took it to ford. After $550, it turned out I had a small cut in one of the two little wires that control the alternator. This caused a short and led to a sometimes working alternator.