Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which cams for my 2010 Vert?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 PM
jamesgribley
1st Gear Member

Default Which cams for my 2010 Vert?

I would like to add some cams and a set of gears to my 2010 vert...

I have the following concerns...

1. Still under warranty and I have the extended warranty...

2. Its my DD and the wife drives it too... 4:10's too much? Are 3:90's a compromise between 3:73 and 4:10??????

3. FRPP or Detroit Rockers? Something else. I am torn from what I have read. I want good daily driving. I am not into the track...just want a good street car that sounds good and has a nice lope with some added HP.

Current mods are a 91 tune, CAI, and Roush cat back exhaust....

Thanks and I look forward to any/all recomendations.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jamesgribley
I would like to add some cams and a set of gears to my 2010 vert...

I have the following concerns...

1. Still under warranty and I have the extended warranty...

Sell the extended warranty back

2. Its my DD and the wife drives it too... 4:10's too much? Are 3:90's a compromise between 3:73 and 4:10??????

4.10's aren't too much. 5th is .68 so the final drive ratio with 4.10's is still only 2.79.

3. FRPP or Detroit Rockers? Something else. I am torn from what I have read. I want good daily driving. I am not into the track...just want a good street car that sounds good and has a nice lope with some added HP.

You won't be able to hide cams from your dealership. If the warranty is a big concern I'd flat out ask your dealership how they would treat a car with aftermarket cams. It's very unlikely anything will happen to your motor as a result of a cam swap but say the motor sucks a valve, phaser goes bad, or anything in the valvetrain goes bad they will point to the cams if they aren't a mod friendly dealership.

Current mods are a 91 tune, CAI, and Roush cat back exhaust....

Thanks and I look forward to any/all recomendations.

Thanks
I'd say sell the extended warranty back and use the cash towards a supercharger. But that's just me.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:58 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

From a GT vert owner the 4.10s are great for this car. I get 23mpg on the hwy. The Hot Rod cams are awesome as well. Throw a set of headers and a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft and you'll be smoking tires through 2nd gear and chirping 3rd with a Brenspeed 91 tune lol!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:20 AM
top00cat
2nd Gear Member

I love my hot rod cams, long tubes, and 4.10s. Forget the warranty. Can you really trust anyone else to do good work on your car? I know I can't.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:00 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Supposedly cams like detroit rockers and hot rods supposedly don't affect d/d that much, but I have read conflicting post on this. A friend of mine has hot rods and he said he basically had to re-learn how to use the clutch. I have Comp NSR Stage 2 cams. They do have a mild lope but not like hot rods or detroit rockers. Driveability was not affected at all. With an email tune I picked up 15hp but lost about 8tq; however, with delete plates and dyno tune, I picked up over 40hp and 30tq. Regarding gears, go with 4.10s. I drive over 50 miles per. day on the hwy and I have no issues. 3.90s would be a good choice if they were made by FRPP but every company that makes them tends to have an issue with gear whine. You may get lucky and not have any issue but why take a chance.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:15 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have the Detroit Rockers and 410's and its great to drive and a nice sound. I have flowmaster on with the H pipe. I ened up putting on High Flow cats b/c the trumpeting was so damn loud. We use my car for vacationing so when ur hauling *** on the interstate who wants to listen to that trumpeting sound on the highway for 12 hours. I did have to get a second tune as my exhaust smelled like gasoline and it felt like it was back to stock again as far as performance in 1 gear. My car is an automatic
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

FRPP Hotrods here with an Automatic trans. The sound is SICK(good). Turns heads at every redlight, parking lot, or whereever people are standing. I have my idle set at 725 and these bad boys lope like nobody's business. There is no words that can describe a full exhaust, properly tuned, cammed up s197......................none. You have to experience it yourself.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
FRPP Hotrods here with an Automatic trans. The sound is SICK(good). Turns heads at every redlight, parking lot, or whereever people are standing. I have my idle set at 725 and these bad boys lope like nobody's business. There is no words that can describe a full exhaust, properly tuned, cammed up s197......................none. You have to experience it yourself.
I mean dude, nothin sounds better than Stingers, headers, an off road H and Hot Rod cams does it lol?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

So I'm between Detroit Rocker and Hot Rod cams. Neither require new springs right?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:29 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

No springs needed for either one.

Quick Reply: Which cams for my 2010 Vert?