Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Treatment for aluminum??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 03:58 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Treatment for aluminum??

Just entertaining the thought, not like I am going to do it but if it's possible. I may go ahead, after more research..

anywho, does anyone know if "treating aluminum" to handle very low cold temps is possible? (-25/-45), while at the same time, not effecting performance??

I may want to get the Vortech V3 head unit treated so that it can withstand the frigid northern temps during the winter without felxing and contracting too much (internal gearing,precise clearances etc.).

Any ideas??
I don't mind taking the kit on and off every winter, saves me the trouble of wheel spin (not that the centri is a low end monster anyways lol), but it would be awesome if I can just leave it on without worrying too much about it...

http://www.metroplating.co.uk/

http://www.alcastcompany.com/heattreat.html

Last edited by stealth_GT; 11-27-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:04 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

If I remember correctly, aluminum actually becomes stronger in extreme cold temps.

Furthermore, from what I understand about aluminum and heat treating, it is not the heat treatment that makes the aluminum more resistant to thermal strains (i.e. expansion and contractions of the material due to temperature), it is the alloy of the aluminum itself that is more of a factor.

I do not pretend to be a metallurgical expert, so if someone in here is, please confirm or clarify further.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I understand the part about it becoming stronger during the cold, but the expansion rate is what I am trying to limit. The gearings and crap inside the blower gets messed up and something to do with it's precise internal clearances within the blower unit itself during extreme cold weather is what gernades it during start up... again, just entertaining the thought. It only takes about an hour total to take off the blower, and return it to CAI/tune only
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ger/index.html

Last edited by stealth_GT; 11-27-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:33 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I am not sure if it is possible, but if you can rig up some sort of preheater, that way, you can warm it up before you even start your car.

Or, I don't know how feasible this is, but take an electric blanket and wrap the S/C unit's banjo casing overnight and keep it warm. That might be the cure you are looking for.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:50 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I could do all that but in those situations, I'd rather just take it off lulz

http://www.on3performance.com/mustanggt3v.html

also taking a look at this kit for the future.. the simplicity of how centris/turbos work is what is attractive to me.. not to mention their amazing power potential. At least the good thing about turbos is that it's exhaust driven.. right as I crank it, the exhaust gases warm up the compressor/turbines quickly.

edit: holy smokes.. that kit's only $1,999.99

Last edited by stealth_GT; 11-27-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:56 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

True about turbos warming up quickly. And yes, their max power potential is crazy sick.

However, you should still consider prewarming those too in your frigid extreme cold weather. The instant you fire up the engine, the turbines and compressor wheels are still cold; it still takes time for the heat from the exhaust to get into the turbo wheels (they are still cold at the instant you turn the key).
Old 11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Ditto.. I let my GT warm up at least 20 minutes before leaving to work in the early morning.. at that time it's still only 10 degrees lol

Damn! That turbo kit looks very tempting! The only problem there would be that it would drag so much during the winter since our winters up here have so much snow and then practically RIVERS of ice and water to drive through.. maybe it is a better idea to just keep the vortech off during the entire winter rofl I can put it back on late March anyways.

thanks for the tips on the blower...
Old 11-27-2010, 05:31 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

NP, I just wish there were a solution for you given the temps you have to deal with. Your ETs are some damn nice numbers with that Vortech.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:35 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
NP, I just wish there were a solution for you given the temps you have to deal with. Your ETs are some damn nice numbers with that Vortech.
Yeah, the winter up here sucks but it's not too bad, considering the summers we get day light for nearly 20-22 hours lulz no joke

I was pretty surprised with my ETs as well, considering they're on street tires and 4.10s. I am trying to get it down to 12.2@115 this summer w/90 octane tune and high 11s w/93 oct. when I get an intercooler/10 psi.

The air is great up here, and feels good to run at sea level.

The only bad part is that the GT is anemic without the blower.. I may get cams/intake manifold so I am not left so gutless NA.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://www.hpperformance.com/2005mus...rbosystems.htm

also interesting... less plumbing under the car from what I read

Quick Reply: Treatment for aluminum??