Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CAMS!!! what are they an other than the sound what good are they???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

errrmmm

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 01-19-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Logic is money versus results.
Really?
Ok... lets see... if you get a CAI and tuner you get 15-25hp for 550-600 dollars.

If you get cams and a tune you can get them for a little over 800 bucks
and get 30-45HP. (in my case I believe it was 46 or 47HP after the tune was set in)

CAI and Tuner is great.
Still....
How does your logic make sense?
The results for the cams seem to be better than the CAI/tune. Plus you also
get the result of a great sounding car. Those results are actually VERY close in HP to money.

Even IF you did have more HP for the money with a CAI and Tune and that part of
your argument went to you...
That does not make it the BEST thing you can do for your car as you said.
It would ONLY make it the best thing you can do FOR THE MONEY.
There is a BIG difference between the two.

You gotta pay to play my friend.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 01-19-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

@ Blacksmoke. I agree with you to a point about the Cams adding more RWHP.

but

That 30-45 HP gain is a CUMULATIVE gain. Without the CAI to help things breathe easier, you aren't going to see such big gains. Motor will be too restricted. You need a CAI to get those huge RWHP gains.

IMO, if you are modding in a sequence as the budget allows, the following is a great sequence
1. Tuner + 91/92/93 Octane tune
2. CAI
3. Longtubes
3. Cams
4. Gears (3.73 or 4.10)
5. Blower

I put LT's and Cams on the same number based on cost. They run roughly the same, and have a marked difference in the cars performance. I love my LT's. Cams are coming next.

The good thing about doing mods in a order like this is that they all build upon one another. You aren't wasting money on a mod that will be useless after adding another one. That way you get the best Bang for the Buck, and a very fun car to drive
Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

What is the most aggresive no springs required / stock heads cam? I'm a big fan of comp, but hot rods sound so good
Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Tylus
@ Blacksmoke. I agree with you to a point about the Cams adding more RWHP.

but

That 30-45 HP gain is a CUMULATIVE gain. Without the CAI to help things breathe easier, you aren't going to see such big gains. Motor will be too restricted. You need a CAI to get those huge RWHP gains.

IMO, if you are modding in a sequence as the budget allows, the following is a great sequence
1. Tuner + 91/92/93 Octane tune
2. CAI
3. Longtubes
3. Cams
4. Gears (3.73 or 4.10)
5. Blower

I put LT's and Cams on the same number based on cost. They run roughly the same, and have a marked difference in the cars performance. I love my LT's. Cams are coming next.

The good thing about doing mods in a order like this is that they all build upon one another. You aren't wasting money on a mod that will be useless after adding another one. That way you get the best Bang for the Buck, and a very fun car to drive

I agree with this 100 percent. One must also factor in the cost of labour cause this **** aint easy to put in nor is it cheap, im refering to the cams. If you screw up the Cam intall, you and the junk yard will be best friends.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 PM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
I agree with this 100 percent. One must also factor in the cost of labour cause this **** aint easy to put in nor is it cheap, im refering to the cams. If you screw up the Cam intall, you and the junk yard will be best friends.
installing cams in our cars is very easy, you are better off doing it yourself so you know its done right!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:55 PM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RAT281
I love my hot rod cams and won't take them out for anything
+1, they are a keeper!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 PM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

On the S197's, do different cams produce a different sound? Some of the ones I have heard on YouTube sound either like someone is "clapping" or "farting."

I have heard cams on the older mustangs like the foxes and they seem to produce a more a aggressive muscle car lopey sound.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

All i know is that my hot rods with stingers sound amazing
Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5POINTOH
On the S197's, do different cams produce a different sound? Some of the ones I have heard on YouTube sound either like someone is "clapping" or "farting."

I have heard cams on the older mustangs like the foxes and they seem to produce a more a aggressive muscle car lopey sound.
the right exhaust is key. chambered mufflers, long tubes with hi flow cats or no cats sound best. hard to hear on vids anyway.

Quick Reply: CAMS!!! what are they an other than the sound what good are they???