Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Going turbo......

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 AM
mark_byers39
1st Gear Member

Lightbulb Going turbo...... then again!

So I've been debating this for some time and have finally decided that I'm going to use a turbo to boost my car as opposed to a supercharger that uses parasitic drag to produce the boost. My plan is to install a Ford Racing intake manifold, Detroit Rocker cams from Brenspeed, then the turbo kit. I'm hoping to achieve somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 rwhp, though I don't know if the rotating assembly will take it. My hope is yes because I want to be on a level playing field with my buddy's supercharged 04 Mach1. My biggest issue now is figure out who I should use for the kit like Hellion, Turbonetic, Turbo Horsepower, etc. Does anyone have an suggestions?

Last edited by mark_byers39; 02-07-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Changing thread title
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would suggest keeping the stock cams.

You will get better drivability and more low end loading with the stock sticks. Unless you get a cam made specifically for turbos, you would pretty much be wasting your money. Save it, get a 2 step, clutch and a really good fuel system instead.

You won't need the intake to reach your goal either.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:53 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I'm going to use a turbo to boost my car as opposed to a supercharger that uses parasitic drag to produce the boost

That is not a reason to go turbo. Plenty of 9 and 10s supercharged S197s. They don't seem to suffer too much from the parasitic drain....lol

I don't know if the rotating assembly will take it

Nobody knows. May depend on how many times a week you race your buddy's Mach1
Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
I'm going to use a turbo to boost my car as opposed to a supercharger that uses parasitic drag to produce the boost

That is not a reason to go turbo. Plenty of 9 and 10s supercharged S197s. They don't seem to suffer too much from the parasitic drain....lol
I was going to say the same thing but held my tounge.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

500rwhp is quite a bit on stock internals. You'll be on borrowed time IMHO, and it'll depending on how hard you drive the car, and how well the parts in your particular motor will withstand the power. We've seen even the "weakest" supercharger packages grenade stock motors, so I agree that NOT going with a s/c shouldn't be for that reason alone... Good luck!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

As mentioned above, just keep it in mind that you're on borrowed time with that power. Some motors can take that kind of power and never go, and others, go at far less. Hope for the best, and prepare (save your money) for the worst .
Old 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

My $.02 is stay with the stock cams, they will work better with a turbo and be much easier to tune then the DR cams. The FRPP manifold would be a good addition for better F/A distribution, not necessarily for more power. I would keep the tune around 450rwhp with 475 about max on the stock bottom end. Give Jim Napier at Turbohorsepower a call and he can answer all your questions. Another good place to call is Mike at PowerHouse about his kit. The Hellion is also a good option. If you have access to a good tuner then I would go with THP but if you are going to rely on the tune that comes with the kit then go with the PowerHouse kit as Mike has done extensive work on his tune.

Earl
Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM
mark_byers39
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I knew that pulling out 500 rwhp was pushing the stock internals. I may end up putting in a forged rotating assembly down the road or going to a Brenspeed 5.0 block so that I can push the boost a little more. As for the turbo setup, while superchargers do have parasitic drag on them, IMHO turbo are just more efficient too. You definitely can't beat the instant boost you get from a S/C though The main reason for looking into the cams also is that while cams will bring the boost down some, it also improves efficiency of the engine, though I'm also still in the research phase too. I know of people running cams in their S/C cars and it does reduce the boost, but certainly didn't seem to hurt their power output. The main reason for the FRPP intake is the improved runners that will help the upper RPMs power, which goes hand in hand with the turbo Thanks again guys for the feedback!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

There are alot of us that have been there done that wth reaching goals inpower levels on this forum. Any off the shelf FI kit with an intercooler will get your car to ~500 rwhp without any other modding to the exhaust or motor. Unless you have an unlimited supply of money and time, I would start with the simplest thing first and get the turbo kit for your car installed as is. The intake, cams etc can always be added without messing with the turbo install. Just saying, you could save a few thousand bucks by modding a step at a time.

Good luck.

If you must get cams with the turbo. Buy a VCT limiter kit and or lockouts for the VCT too.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 PM
mark_byers39
1st Gear Member

So I've completed doing my research and after talking with a buddy of mine from my import days (yeah i was stupid once lol) I decided that running a turbo was going to end up too problematic! So now I just have to figure out which supercharger set up is right. I'mbeing kind of partial to paxton Got a few things like headers and such to do before then but at least I have a better idea of what I'm going to do.

Quick Reply: Going turbo......