Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Paxton NOVI2200 first impressions, thoughts, and a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Paxton NOVI2200 first impressions, thoughts, and a question

So it seems I finally fulfilled my dream of having a supercharged Mustang.
I have been able to go WOT a few times already, and truly my only regret now is not having done this sooner. Is a whole different car! And all that hoopla you've heard about centri's being weak down low is total bs. You can feel the car being a bit more "eager", sometimes even a bit jerky, coming out of a stop. I love it! And the sound of centri's whistle at idle is so intoxicating!

Although I think it's a bit ironic that now that I have this really powerful car in my hands, I find myself driving it more carefully for fear of blowing the engine up. Lol. I used to go ***** out most of the time before, with no worries. Oh well. Once the car is paid off, a forged block is definitely going in. I'm not done with my little money pit!

And now a question about WOT air/fuel readings.
The few times I have gone WOT, I noticed my Autometer gauge reads 10 flat and stays there. And the thing is; that's as low as the gauge actually goes, so the reading could be even richer than that. The good news from that is that the stock fuel pump with the Kennebell BAP is giving plenty of fuel for the Paxton 2200 at least.
So what should I do? Should I contact Brenspeed about the A/F? Or should I mess around with the WOT mixture parameters available in the SCT tuner until I'm able to bring it up to at least 11's?
I have a dyno appointment later today to confirm the readings (and to see how many ponies I got to the ground now)

Oh, and I almost forgot! Clean your throttle bodies, people. I didn't mention it before, but at first I noticed the car had a bit of a rough idle, and some hesitation at take off. I was going to contact Brenspeed about it, but then I saw their tutorial and disclaimer about cleaning your throttle body BEFORE going to them with any complaints. Mine looked pretty clean, but I did the procedure anyway. Now the hesitation is gone and the idle is as smooth as a kitten purring. No wonder they put the TB cleaning suggestion on top of their contact page. It is probably a really common cause of complaints.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Good to hear. Once all this cold weather disappears from the area I'm going to install the Paxton kit I have sitting in my bedroom. Though I'm like you too.. I've had some transmission issues in the past so I'm going to get a slightly larger pulley just for a little piece of mind.

With regards to the tune though, I'd work with Brenspeed on the AFR and not mess with the fuel tables on your own. That right there could be a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by PSUSkier; 01-29-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

AFR in the 10s is pretty much pig rich. You don't mention what tune you are running so I am assuming the tune brenspeed packaged with the kit?

I would stay away from playing with the tuner device and trying to correct it yourself. When you get the car on the dyno let the them verify your AFR with their wideband. If it really is 10s then you need some corrections.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

do some datalogs and send them to brenspeed to look over. they should be able to look over everything and dial the tune in perfect.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If he has datalogging setup for his wideband he can do a road tune. Some of them are kind of a pain to do that with though.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
If he has datalogging setup for his wideband he can do a road tune. Some of them are kind of a pain to do that with though.
I could try holding a camera to the gauges at WOT with one hand while steering with the other. Would that count?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

lol no

You need to get that thing setup so it can push the values to a laptop. Use SCT livelink and do a WOT run from 2000rpm up to redline in 4th gear.

If you need help call Brenspeed. Did they sell you that wideband?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
lol no

You need to get that thing setup so it can push the values to a laptop. Use SCT livelink and do a WOT run from 2000rpm up to redline in 4th gear.

If you need help call Brenspeed. Did they sell you that wideband?
Yes. I added it from their site along with the matching color mounting pillar, and the Paxton kit. $5400 for everything. Not bad considering I was saving $5,600 for a Roush TVS kit alone.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Then they can help you get it setup to log the AFR values remotely. I would explore that route with them.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:26 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the blower. I think mine is running rich too. It also hits 10 something on the wideband as well. I also seem to be getting some dark sooty coloring on my tailpipes. I bought the cable to be able to do some datalogging......just finding a road to run that fast on here is risking jail time. You get caught going double the speed limit here and its straight to jail. I"m gonna wait till my track opens again.

Quick Reply: Paxton NOVI2200 first impressions, thoughts, and a question