Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CAM owners feedback..

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default CAM owners feedback..

Do you guys have any issues with cold starts with CAMS? (hesitation?)

And for the auto trans guys, did the cams kill your off the line acceleration?

I have 4.10s so it may not be an issue.

Any tips on the install? Gonna practice on a motor this Monday with the specialty tools just to make sure on a class donor motor.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Cams do reduce low-end torque, especially noticable with an auto.

No cold start issues for me, no hesitation. Such issues would require tune tweaks, and a tune should be customized to fit the characteristics of the cams you are using as well, including if using VCT limiters or lockouts.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:37 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I don't mind the loss of low end torque. I have 4.10s and if I need more umpth, I can always just manually shift the auto. I live at WOT at the track, so it's not too bad lol

I am just worried about cold starts and hesitations during the extreme cold winter months like now (-20'ish)

I am also thinking about the whole flashing OD light fiasco...

I am very excited about the cams with the Vortech/intercooled this summer. I have been told it's a very potent combo. I also have delete plates, and considering either intake racing manifold (FRPP&C&L), so my top end is gonna be pretty insane..
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

What cams? I have no issues
Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I will recommend the Ford Hot Rod cams. Brenspeed is awesome at tuning these and would be the perfect vendor to do so especially since your running a Vortech which is another one of their specialties. With 4.10s the cams are perfect. No hesitation, no cold start issues. Idle is perfect. The OD light issues for auto guys has been solved by most tuners now.

For the install you can download Ford Racings pdf cam install manual. Follow that to a tee and your good to go. I don't shadetree anything so I'm glad to see you have the proper valve spring compressor and timing chain wedge. Cylinder 8 is tricky as *** but the others are cake. Take your time and you'll do fine.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I was told the Detroit Rocker supercharger grind puts about a little more hp than the Hot Rods but it's only like 10hp or so if that. I thought about the FRPP ones but I'll take the extra horses

I am gonna practice on monday with a donor motor in class, gonna use the valve spring compressor on no.8 just like it is pictured to do (sideways lol).. not too worried about it, just making sure there are no surprises...

glad to hear there are no issues with driveability/start up hesitation..
Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Yeah the Detroit Rockers are a nice choice as well. I'm curious if there is any sacrifice in the lopey idle of the cam on the supercharger grind?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Nope, lope sounds just as aggressive. They claim no loss in low end torque.. same install as the hot rods

Looking forward to getting this set up with the FRPP or C&L intake manifold. They are claiming 50-55whp with an FI set up... we'll see though...
Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey stealth it's about time you join the cam crew.

have a great install and let us know how you like your new rockers.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:36 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
hey stealth it's about time you join the cam crew.

have a great install and let us know how you like your new rockers.
lol thanks, I am actually using your how to guide as a reference

I have done a few cams installs, but nothing for a 3v and they have all been donor motors on motor stands during engine repair class.

I have been holding off on cams until I was 100% sure the gains would be worth it or not. Since I am doing the install myself, it saves me a ton of money as well..

I have been tempted on getting the FRPP top end kit, but thats a little steep right at this moment...

Quick Reply: CAM owners feedback..