Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CAM owners feedback..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Which cams are the ones with little to no lope??

comp cams stage 1 or 2 NSR??
I don't think either has too much lope. I have the comp stage 2. It does lope but nothing like D/R or hotrods; however, if you do take your car to the track then I would put these ahead of d/r or hotrods. Chris Rose said the pick up about 5-10 more hp with the comps then the hotrods.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

dude i am having this same search now. i cant decide between the detroit rockers blower grind and the BBR billet cams. they are the same price, but i cant really find what i want to see to make my decision. i understand the BBR cams are a bit more aggressive, but only a few hp here and there. i'm doing the LTs at the same time and getting the car dyno tuned. i found a place in Dallas (gearheads performance) that will give me a killer deal on installing the cams, headers and a dyno tune. i have read a shatload of reviews and 99% of them are good so i am excited about it. Probably be next month before i do the install though since the cams are all backordered.

anyone know of some good threads with comparisons of the two cams a noob can understand so i can make my choice? Im leaning towards the DRs since they have a blower specific grind. I also can't figure out why the special comp grind brenspeed sells is $100 cheaper than the DRs, the dude on the phone would only say drivability. the comp specials and teh DRs sound teh same in teh desriptions. moslty i am wondering if its the same cam with a different name.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM
mark_byers39
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
dude i am having this same search now. i cant decide between the detroit rockers blower grind and the BBR billet cams. they are the same price, but i cant really find what i want to see to make my decision. i understand the BBR cams are a bit more aggressive, but only a few hp here and there. i'm doing the LTs at the same time and getting the car dyno tuned. i found a place in Dallas (gearheads performance) that will give me a killer deal on installing the cams, headers and a dyno tune. i have read a shatload of reviews and 99% of them are good so i am excited about it. Probably be next month before i do the install though since the cams are all backordered.

anyone know of some good threads with comparisons of the two cams a noob can understand so i can make my choice? Im leaning towards the DRs since they have a blower specific grind. I also can't figure out why the special comp grind brenspeed sells is $100 cheaper than the DRs, the dude on the phone would only say drivability. the comp specials and teh DRs sound teh same in teh desriptions. moslty i am wondering if its the same cam with a different name.
I'm having a similar debate myself. I was orginally going to run D/R cams, then I feel back to the FRPP Hot Rod cams, then I started to realize that the FRPP has a very narrow LSA which worried about my top end power which also became my concern about the D/R cams. I don't know any specs on the D/R cam other than it's a custom grind. I want a cam that gives me the most power but I would also love to make my car sounds great though. I don't want to go to the track, loping like a monster and then run 14 sec pass lol. Any help would be great!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I want the crazy cabin vibrating lope with the cut outs open on some days.. and other days, I want no lope at all.. I feel like it'll be a novelty item and I'll grow out of them. I did a total 360 going from wild to mild in terms of my exterior.. feeling the same way about the CAMs...
Old 03-11-2011, 07:15 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I've been extremely happy with the Hot Rods and how they perform with my M90. The tune I got from BBR is amazing. All this blower grind this and that IMO doesn't mean squat for seat of the pants power. My car melts the tires in second gear from a 35mph roll, never bogs, never hesitates or coughs. Just runs liked a friggin raped ape. Super responsive throttle with zero lag. Alot of you guys can go back and forth, drink a lot of beer and lose sleep over figuring out what to do. But I'm gonna tell ya as a mechanic with 20 years experience, you wont go wrong with Hot Rods on a supercharged engine. And if you want a tune that will blow you away give Chris Jones a call with BBR. With all the mods in my sig he already has tunes for. Put it this way, his tune had my car putting out so much power it was throwing the wrench light with a P061B. PCM seeing too much torque LOL! Had to max out the torque tables in the tune to stop it from happening. Now thats something LOL!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM
mark_byers39
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
I've been extremely happy with the Hot Rods and how they perform with my M90. The tune I got from BBR is amazing. All this blower grind this and that IMO doesn't mean squat for seat of the pants power. My car melts the tires in second gear from a 35mph roll, never bogs, never hesitates or coughs. Just runs liked a friggin raped ape. Super responsive throttle with zero lag. Alot of you guys can go back and forth, drink a lot of beer and lose sleep over figuring out what to do. But I'm gonna tell ya as a mechanic with 20 years experience, you wont go wrong with Hot Rods on a supercharged engine. And if you want a tune that will blow you away give Chris Jones a call with BBR. With all the mods in my sig he already has tunes for. Put it this way, his tune had my car putting out so much power it was throwing the wrench light with a P061B. PCM seeing too much torque LOL! Had to max out the torque tables in the tune to stop it from happening. Now thats something LOL!
How about without a supercharger? I'm going to go boost eventually but not right at this moment. Plus, doesn't the Hot Rod cams require springs? Just curioius
Old 03-13-2011, 06:58 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Isn't it true that the stock heads/cams are actually good to about 800-850whp?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:29 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Isn't it true that the stock heads/cams are actually good to about 800-850whp?
maybe, but stock cams don't go bumpity, bumpity
Old 03-13-2011, 08:41 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

FRPP says that torque loss is very minimal, within 5 ft/lb tq throughout the rpm range.

The key is the tuning. Period.

I will be purchasing my FRPP cams on Tuesday along with the FRPP manifold.

There are a couple of other things FRPP cams have going for them:

1. No need for springs. Stock valvetrain is good to 6800.

2. No need for phase limiters or lockouts.

That saves you a bundle of money in itself.

Just my .02.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
maybe, but stock cams don't go bumpity, bumpity
True. I found it interesting just how durable the top end components were compared to everything else in the block.

Too bad our connect rods, pistons and cranks weren't rated that high lulz

Quick Reply: CAM owners feedback..