Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

woo hoo! New parts coming in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Sweet dude, are you getting an air/air IC I assume? I've already heard the air/water works "better" but looked like a PITA to install when I was reading over all the manuals, and certainly has more points of failure (ie the water pump).
Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I have the FRPP pack and have been thinking about changing out the springs and struts/dampers(for about 2 years now lol), their a little stiff for my liking but I do love the look with the 1.5" drop. Thinking of trying the Konis with my current springs but I also am not sure how much farther down my front end will sit when I install my SC.

The pic in my sig is old I have black gt500 wheels with 255/45's now but the drop is the same.

Last edited by Mikes_BLK_GT; 03-24-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Sweet dude, are you getting an air/air IC I assume? I've already heard the air/water works "better" but looked like a PITA to install when I was reading over all the manuals, and certainly has more points of failure (ie the water pump).
Yup, got the air to air due to ease of install and removal of piping for the winter.. yeah, it's a pain in the butt.. though it's only pipes rather than a bunch of crap that needs to come off lol Yeah, the air/water cooler is more consistent but it's all good. SOOOO damn close on getting an M90/500hp kit, but with only 90 octane.. even with cams, I'll be lucky to hit 420whp.

With the Vortech/intercooler 10 psi, it's 450whp/470 with cams/485 w FRPP intake manifold.

The degas coolant pump is pretty reliable imo, haven't heard about those failing. I'd think hoses would fail before the degas bottle.

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
I have the FRPP pack and have been thinking about changing out the springs and struts/dampers(for about 2 years now lol), their a little stiff for my liking but I do love the look with the 1.5" drop. Thinking of trying the Konis with my current springs but I also am not sure how much farther down my front end will sit when I install my SC.

The pic in my sig is old I have black gt500 wheels with 255/45's now but the drop is the same.
How did it handle?? I want something that will handle on rails and launch like a freight train..
Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Personally I think it handles really well, need to get the blower on before I can give you real opinion on the launch. Car already had the suspension when I bought it so I cant give a stock vs FRPP kind of comparison.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:48 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Getting good tires ie MT ET streets was by far the best mod I have bought for the track. I have a completly stock suspension and with those tires, I have zero wheel hop or traction issues. I have no reason to touch my suspension. Not only do they hook perfectly, its a very safe trip down the track.........losing traction is when it gets scary. With street tires I never knew what was gonna happen. Now I have confidence in my tires.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

The light weight radiator support (great weight off the front) and strut bar helps tie the front end together, while the tougher LCAs on the bottom will help accelerate better on street tires. I know it may be overkill, but I want my car to go as fast as it does in a straight line and handle like it's on rails lulz
Old 03-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Once I get the SC in and the relo brackets welded I'll give her a good test to the coast and back let you know how it goes. Sam Strano may be a good guy to look up I have only heard good things about him, he knows suspension from what Ive read and has decent prices.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Cool man, thanks for the info for the parts.

Keep me updated on the results with the blower install.. which one did you go with??
Old 03-26-2011, 03:37 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I went with the 2.3L TVS from Roush Unless your getting one of the M-90's for the clearence price that going around it doesnt cost that much more after you figure in the 500hp kit. For the black M-90's I think is around 5k even with a 6% discount your looking at 4700 plus say 629 for the 500hp kit w/out tuner still 5300, I go the TVS for 5700 tuned from JDM. Last I heard the low priced M-90's for my 06 are gone but I like the idea of having more room to grow with the larger TVS. I cannot wait any longer its killing me lol
Old 03-26-2011, 11:10 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

VMP tuning has a 400whp R2300 kit for $5499.00.. you can always upgrade the pulley for 8 psi and make 470-480whp! Be careful, that R is mighty potent. I read about a few people easily making 525-535whp with the pulley thats standard for that kit.

Quick Reply: woo hoo! New parts coming in!