Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Having an issue with my power steering pump, car has a 5.0 stroker&Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

Angry Having an issue with my power steering pump, car has a 5.0 stroker&Kenne Bell

As stated in my heading, I am having an issue with my power steering pump. I have a Livernois 5.0 stroker 2V. in my Mustang GT, the motor revs to 6,700rpm's and has a Kenne Bell 2.1 on it as well. I had originally had an alternator issue last year, due to the high revs of the stroker motor. I had to have the alternator done three times by PA performance, due to the smaller than stock pully the PA alternator comes with. I switched the alternator back the the stock size, and did not have another issue until I took it to the track at the end of last year. Needless to say the alternator over-spun again, at which time I contacted Metco in search of a larger pully. Metco sent me an 8 rib 3.25in. pully for the alternator, which with thier calculations slowed it down just slightly below stock. The pully is a wagon wheel when comparing it to stock, but does the job in slowing it down. When I installed the 3.25 alternator last year just before putting the car into hibernation for the winter, I took the car out for a walk through its paces and noticed the power steering fluid on the ground under my car the next morning. In addition to the power steering pump leak, the belt tensioner snapped. I took the car apart last week to address the tensioner and power steering pump, I replaced both on Saturday morning and started it up with no leak issues and with great belt tension again. There was barely any remnants left of the front seal of the power steering pump when I pressed the pully off it, and knew exactly why it was leaking so badly. I drove my car around Saturday all day, because I missed the power and it was nice weather. When I came out into the driveway Sunday morning, my car had a little puddle underneeth it, it got under to take a sample on my finger and realized it was power steering fluid?!? I started the car up and looked down at the power steering pump, and right away seen fluid steadily coming down from the front nose of the pully?!? I could not believe what I was seeing, which leads me to my question. Now already having the serious overdrive issue with my alternator, could it be possible that I am overdriving my power steering pump? Please note that my car did not even see 5,000rpm's when I drove it on Saturday, so it was well within stock range so there should have been no issue. I got the pump from NAPA, I dont like Advance ot Autozone for stuff like that. I called NAPA and they appoligzed and will cover it, they have one on the way for me tomorrow morning. Do any of you think I just got a fluke bad one from NAPA, and should just swap it out again and see what happens. I am probably over thinking the whole thing, I just dont want the issues I had with my alternator with this and have to change it a third time.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

A few things:

Wrong section your question.

Replace the entire pump. You probably bent and damaged the shaft and the internals with excess pressure.

Make sure you PERFECTLY align your PS pump off of the CRANK. If you need a suggestion in how to get it done. Ask, I'll tell.

Get a real tensioner, something with reinforcement in it. The spring will be the same presure but the bracket will not flex.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
neubstang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all your help Simon1, I am still lost with this problem. Is there anybody out there that is really familar with hydroboost systems?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by neubstang
Thanks for all your help Simon1, I am still lost with this problem. Is there anybody out there that is really familar with hydroboost systems?
No I don't know anyone.

Do you have someone who knows about these cars helping you out? I'm at a loss.

Have you spoke with KB?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 PM
2004blkgt

As stated in my heading, I am having an issue with my power steering pump. I have a Livernois 5.0 stroker 2V. in my Mustang GT, the motor revs to 6,700rpm's and has a Kenne Bell 2.1 on it as well. I had originally had an alternator issue last year, due to the high revs of the stroker motor. I had to have the alternator done three times by PA performance, due to the smaller than stock pully the PA alternator comes with. I switched the alternator back the the stock size, and did not have another issue until I took it to the track at the end of last year. Needless to say the alternator over-spun again, at which time I contacted Metco in search of a larger pully. Metco sent me an 8 rib 3.25in. pully for the alternator, which with thier calculations slowed it down just slightly below stock. The pully is a wagon wheel when comparing it to stock, but does the job in slowing it down. When I installed the 3.25 alternator last year just before putting the car into hibernation for the winter, I took the car out for a walk through its paces and noticed the power steering fluid on the ground under my car the next morning. In addition to the power steering pump leak, the belt tensioner snapped. I took the car apart last week to address the tensioner and power steering pump, I replaced both on Saturday morning and started it up with no leak issues and with great belt tension again. There was barely any remnants left of the front seal of the power steering pump when I pressed the pully off it, and knew exactly why it was leaking so badly. I drove my car around Saturday all day, because I missed the power and it was nice weather. When I came out into the driveway Sunday morning, my car had a little puddle underneeth it, it got under to take a sample on my finger and realized it was power steering fluid?!? I started the car up and looked down at the power steering pump, and right away seen fluid steadily coming down from the front nose of the pully?!? I could not believe what I was seeing, which leads me to my question. Now already having the serious overdrive issue with my alternator, could it be possible that I am overdriving my power steering pump? Please note that my car did not even see 5,000rpm's when I drove it on Saturday, so it was well within stock range so there should have been no issue. I got the pump from NAPA, I dont like Advance ot Autozone for stuff like that. I called NAPA and they appoligzed and will cover it, they have one on the way for me tomorrow morning. Do any of you think I just got a fluke bad one from NAPA, and should just swap it out again and see what happens. I am probably over thinking the whole thing, I just dont want the issues I had with my alternator with this and have to change it a third time.
I am having the same problem you are having right now. I will get back to with you more details after I talk to my mechanic tomorrow. But the kb 2.1 was installed on Wednesday and not too long after installation(just driving around) we started having power steering issues. When we pulled into the garage there was a small puddle and we kollected about a mcdonald's cup full of power steering fluid. So, he ordered another power steering pump and put it on today. About 2 hours ago he called me and told me that it broke the new one as well. So, I emailed kenne belle(still waiting for a response).....one thing in common I see that we both did have was a PA PERFORMANCE ALTERNATOR.....I may try and have my stock altertnator put back in as this kould potentially be the issue. Let me know if you come across in other findings..
Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM
2004blkgt

Have you checked your steering rack? Something on mines was stuck and wasn't releasing the pressure properly and was causing excess force on my power steering pump and was causing the seal to pop off......
Old 04-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Throck!

A couple of things off the top of my head...

Maybe put an underdrive pulley on the crank to slow everything down (smaller pulley on the s/c also to keep it up to speed)? Then the alternator and p/s pump will run stock and will take rotational velocity out of the equation. The issue with this would be the alternator needs a certain speed to start charging, might have issues at idle.

To piggyback on Simon's suggestion...maybe get a slightly longer belt? If you are bending the p/s pump shaft, maybe that could be causing issues with the alternator also? And a longer belt will be less stress on the tensioner...maybe see if you can get the edelbrock tensioner brace and file off the bling.

Rotational vibrations? Not sure if this matters with alternators and p/s pumps. Look into a fluiddamper for a crank pulley?